rainton's P2P LA2A chassis "original style" discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://metersales.com
I bought mine with teletronix logo for $79.95  Note the business is in California and I also live there so I had 10% sales tax plus shipping.
[email protected] is who handled my transaction. 
AL39WF is the part number without the light box

Quayhog said:
I bought mine with teletronix logo for $79.95  Note the business is in California and I also live there so I had 10% sales tax plus shipping.

Sweet! Did you still have to enlarge the meter cut out on the panel?

Thanks!

Paul

Quayhog said:

Are you sure Jonathan? Is it the one with broad bezel, teletronix style pointer and logo?

Because as far as I know the teletronix replacement meter is $145:

weiss said:
Regarding the meters:

We have 18 units in stock and we will use the following discounts 1 to 9 units $145.00 and 10 to 24  $130.50 FOB Lancaster, CA, USA, Plus all duties and taxes

Happy new year everyone!

As written before, I was told to receive the powder coated chassis in the 3rd week of January, so it shouldn't be too long now :)

From there the front panels have to be printed which should take 2-3 weeks until I have them back.
I'll keep you posted!
Martin

rainton said:
Happy new year everyone!

As written before, I was told to receive the powder coated chassis in the 3rd week of January, so it shouldn't be too long now :)

From there the front panels have to be printed which should take 2-3 weeks until I have them back.
I'll keep you posted!
Martin

So 2nd or 3rd week of February ?  Can't wait !

Good news everyone!

The chassis are manufactured and front panels and rack-ears powder coated! :)

I'll pick them up tomorrow and send the front panels to the silk-screener right away!
So 2-3 weeks from now we should be good to go  8)

Some more good news - for the second run I managed to get nice aluminum hinges instead of the plain steel ones - yet
one step closer to the vintage original!

I'll keep you posted!
Martin

I'm way out of the loop. But if there's a third run of the LA2A chassis going PLEASE put me down  :-[ :-[

Also, if I haven't missed the Pultec run.... I'm in for those, too.

cheers

Ladies and Gentlemen,

the chassis are ready!
The printed front panels arrived and even though I already found some panels I'm not happy with in terms of the print quality,
I guess I there are enough good ones. I learned from the first run and this time I ordered more panels than chassis in case there are some bad ones ;)

I put together one first chassis and it's even better than the ones from the first run! The new aluminum hinges also look great!
I hope you'll like them :)

Anyway I'll start shipping them out today, but since I'm working full-time I don't manage to ship more than 5 packages a day - at least that's my experience from the first run.
So I'm asking you guys - those of you who have all other components to start the build already please let me know and I would ship them first if it is ok for everyone.

This way I can provide the chassis to those who are ready to go asap - and ship the chassis to those who are not ready yet anyway afterwards.

OK?

rainton said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

the chassis are ready!
The printed front panels arrived and even though I already found some panels I'm not happy with in terms of the print quality,
I guess I there are enough good ones. I learned from the first run and this time I ordered more panels than chassis in case there are some bad ones ;)

I put together one first chassis and it's even better than the ones from the first run! The new aluminum hinges also look great!
I hope you'll like them :)

Anyway I'll start shipping them out today, but since I'm working full-time I don't manage to ship more than 5 packages a day - at least that's my experience from the first run.
So I'm asking you guys - those of you who have all other components to start the build already please let me know and I would ship them first if it is ok for everyone.

This way I can provide the chassis to those who are ready to go asap - and ship the chassis to those who are not ready yet anyway afterwards.

OK?

Thanks. I'm still sourcing parts at the moment so I'm good. Can't wait to see the finished product. Going to be amazing.

Hi guys,

I know this old circuit is not dead-quiet, but are your units as noisy as mine? The problem is 50Hz mains which the V1 12AX7 and 12BH7 seems to inject/amplify.
Both units are somewhere around -45db with gain and peak reduction at 0.
(The original manual says -75db +10dbm output)

Depending on their position I'm able to get -63db, but then my gain is at 70, which of course is ridiculously loud any audio application.
Any ideas how to improve that?

I also thought about increasing the capacity of the decoupling caps of the power supply to flatten the pulsed 50Hz DC.
Better rectification means less noise injection from the tubes, am I right?

Cheers,
Nick

Sounds like a grounding issue to me.

The LA2A is not the quietest design out there but all my builds so far turned out surprisingly quiet.
And the "noise" in this circuit certainly doesn't mean ground hum. It's rather the "white noise" kind of noise  ;)

What you describe is definitely not how it's supposed to be.

Especially you shouldn't hear any noise at all when the gain knob is turned all the way down.  Any noise there is should get louder when turning up the gain knob.

So I suggest you check your units for proper grounding - use Cayacosta's latest layout and the schematics as a reference...

nickhepfer said:
Hi guys,

I know this old circuit is not dead-quiet, but are your units as noisy as mine? The problem is 50Hz mains which the V1 12AX7 and 12BH7 seems to inject/amplify.
Both units are somewhere around -45db with gain and peak reduction at 0.
(The original manual says -75db +10dbm output)

Depending on their position I'm able to get -63db, but then my gain is at 70, which of course is ridiculously loud any audio application.
Any ideas how to improve that?

I also thought about increasing the capacity of the decoupling caps of the power supply to flatten the pulsed 50Hz DC.
Better rectification means less noise injection from the tubes, am I right?

Cheers,
Nick

Hi mate,

thanks for the quick response! ;D

It really isn't white noise; you can see the 50Hz clearly on the analyzer.
Of course I checked the grounding with an Ohm-meter and it's 0ohms everywhere it's supposed to be grounded.

Attached is a sketch of the hum/buzz. Starting right after the V1 to the output transformer. without V1 or V2; no buzz.
V2 of course amplifies the incoming buzz, but injecting some by itself (when there is no V1 in circuit).

Attachments

• Datei 04.03.16, 12 42 56.jpeg
    Datei 04.03.16, 12 42 56.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
Back