Repairing old Hafler power amplifier help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFFG

Hi! I'm attempting to repair an old amp we have in the studio here and thought I'd post and see if anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong.  It is an old Hafler DH-500 power amplifier. It puts out VERY distorted signals...for instance, if I put in a sine wave it comes out sounding more like a sawtooth (and looking distorted on the scope as well) but if you put music in you basically just get a bunch of crackles. For now, I am testing out just one channel, but both channels are having similar problems.

The DC rails of +/- 90v seem fine, actually a little hot more like 95 each. Don't know if that would cause any issues.

I've attached the schematic for reference. I've traced the signal to the bases of Q3 and Q5 and it is clean up until that point. But after that it gets distorted from there on out. I've also noticed that on the emitter of Q1 and collector of Q2 (the Current sources, as the block diagram, which i will attach next, says) are distorted as well, but occasionally it actually looks like they are just half waveforms (when using a sine wave on input). 

But after Q3 and Q5 everything is a mess and distorted including Q4 and Q6 as well as test points 'A' 'C' and 'D'.  Does this point to dead Transisotrs at Q3 and Q5?  That is definitely going to be the first thing I'm going to try to replace.  Any other suggestions or obvious things I'm missing?

Another observation I've made is that, past the transistors I've mentioned, (and at the speaker I have hooked up) you get no sound for a wide range of voltages and then all of a sudden, at some certain threshold, the speaker will start playing or the waveform will show up on the scope...but prior to those transistors you have a fully variable waveform when you alter the input voltage.

I'm mostly doing this for the fun/learning experience of it all, so any help is hugely appreciated!

Attachments

• Preview of “www.hafler.com-techsupport-pdf-DH-500_amp_man.pdf” (dragged).pdf
    168 KB · Views: 21
Here's the block diagram

Attachments

• Preview of “www.hafler.com-techsupport-pdf-DH-500_amp_man.pdf” (dragged) 1.pdf
    143.4 KB · Views: 15
MikeFFG said:
Hi! I'm attempting to repair an old amp we have in the studio here and thought I'd post and see if anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong.  It is an old Hafler DH-500 power amplifier. It puts out VERY distorted signals...for instance, if I put in a sine wave it comes out sounding more like a sawtooth (and looking distorted on the scope as well) but if you put music in you basically just get a bunch of crackles. For now, I am testing out just one channel, but both channels are having similar problems.
good old soldier.. looks like fun
The DC rails of +/- 90v seem fine, actually a little hot more like 95 each. Don't know if that would cause any issues.
not critical to be precise
I've attached the schematic for reference. I've traced the signal to the bases of Q3 and Q5 and it is clean up until that point.
q3/5 are the very input devices..
But after that it gets distorted from there on out. I've also noticed that on the emitter of Q1 and collector of Q2 (the Current sources, as the block diagram, which i will attach next, says) are distorted as well, but occasionally it actually looks like they are just half waveforms (when using a sine wave on input). 
Should be clean if amp is working properly, which it isn't
But after Q3 and Q5 everything is a mess and distorted including Q4 and Q6 as well as test points 'A' 'C' and 'D'.  Does this point to dead Transisotrs at Q3 and Q5?  That is definitely going to be the first thing I'm going to try to replace.  Any other suggestions or obvious things I'm missing?
Before getting serious with sine wave or load testing, start looking at DC voltages at idle with no AC signal, as that could reveal where problem is. With 0Vdc on base Q3/5 output side should mirror that and be 0Vdc also... if not figure out why...
Another observation I've made is that, past the transistors I've mentioned, (and at the speaker I have hooked up) you get no sound for a wide range of voltages and then all of a sudden, at some certain threshold, the speaker will start playing or the waveform will show up on the scope...but prior to those transistors you have a fully variable waveform when you alter the input voltage.

I'm mostly doing this for the fun/learning experience of it all, so any help is hugely appreciated!

This can be a great learning experience about discrete design.

Figure out what the DC voltages should be at internal circuit nodes, then measure and if wrong figure out why.

Of course be careful when probing around that you don't break something else.

JR

Are R31 and R32 OK?
I vaguely remember something about instability somewhere causing oscillation and the end result was those resistors would burn and change value.

Latest posts

Back