Replacement Capsule for Cascade Elroy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tskguy said:
Yes I sell a 47 I could give a crap he buys one!!! And of coarse we are copying the greats!! But if you take a look at my 47 it's my own thing and is built differently and sounds better to some.. I offered up as an option yes but name another American made 47??  And I have rebuilt and repaired more microphones than I care to mention. I don't spend my time on forums being behind the keyboard expert,  I would rather let my work speak for itself.  And  I  am who I say I am and don't hide behind false profile information...In76d, what is your name by the way? Country?

Eric Heiserman

My personal informations is my thing - difference is  that am not offering my work here and not selling things here at least not selling my work here - so why i should? In some threads you will find my name - it's Piotr and the country i live, but i wouldn't write it at the bottom of each post. Besides that who cares about that? Am not a internet exhibitionist! What's the "false profile information" mr tskguy from Cary NC? Where's the difference?
You are really confident, self called "profesionalist" and "expert", but to be honest, from some time i didn't saw any merithorical post from you. Mostly something like - my capsule is better than chinese. I didn't see your work except few pics of the capsules.
And what's most important am not sitting here to show people my work, so yes i can be for you keyboard  expert - but i don't care what you are thinking. If am not offering my work here i don't have any reason to brag about it. Only trying to help people, find some help, spend time for constructive discussions and collect some useful informations.
That's it - nothing else.
And yes - you still didn't bring to this topic anything constructive :p
Relax man ;)

As I expected,

Hiding again... Your so called expertise is all based on nothing concrete...  I have real credentials I will be happy to indulge you off of this thread. And as for my proof read about my capsules from posts not created by me.. All of the DIY guys that build mics with my capsules love them! 
And by the way the previous graph was done in the university of Chicago's an-echoic chamber..

Eric!
What you don't understand?
Should i post here my metric, show you my dental roentgen?
Do you want to push here "who has the bigger"?
"Hiding" like few thousands members here?
What would be next, you will stick to my grammar?
Really, what's wrong with you?
What's your point?
With your needs, you can go to the Klaus Heyne forum - you will be satisfied i think.
Tell something which is related to the topic, don't push that bullshit anymore!
You are only person, in the topics related to your work, which talk about money but you assign it to others!
You are self called "expert" and "profesionalist" but your behavior indicates something completely different!
I would find here much more "professional" "experts" than you and i think that these guys wouldn't call itself that anyway.
For some things is good to have a tact.
As i said before i don't have any need to prove anything here - especially to you.
If someone will use my advice it will be fine, if not - don't care.
It's a internet forum - nothing else.

Eric, Piotr is not hiding. I know his full name and address and I'm no Sherlock Holmes.
(Yes, I did have some fun guessing initially.)
But why would he post all the data here?
Is that necessary to be taken seriously as a forum member?
He does put a whole lot of time, energy and effort in this forum BTW and FWIW.

I'm not posting all my data here, either, but I'd give them to you if you asked.
As a matter of fact, I was going to give them soon, since I'm eager to try your HK47.
Or in any case I was.
I've promoted your work on several fora and I've never written anything negative about you.
Quite the opposite and that's an understatement.
Also, as you may remember, I have tried to support you in every way I could when you were in the developing stage of making capsules.

But frankly, I don't like the attitude I see when for instance I read reply #14, where you talk about -the other "expert"-, emoticons or not.
To me that comes across as somewhat arrogant, sarcastic and childish while belitlling a forum member.
And when I ask if this is becoming a pattern, you immediately react quite aggressively with terms like "bullsh*t", "I will give it!!" and "for f  sake".
Apparently the shoe fits.
And apparently all my ealier support didn't give me any credit.
It was the very first time I carefully asked you a question of this sort.

The last time, in the Chinese capsule thread, when you had a similar unfortunate hickup, I didn't step in.
And a couple of incidents don't make a pattern, which is why I used the word "becoming" as well as a question mark.
But I do hope it won't become a pattern, because if it does I can guarantee it will backfire on you.
And that would be a waste of talent.
That was a compliment BTW.

Henk

ln76d said:
There shouldn't be any problem to mount M7 - this rubber ring is enough to hold it. Only disadvantage is  backplate connection.  I wouldn't have any problem with that, but i don't know Bandogmusic skills.
Also there will be probably problem with outside metal ring for bigger capsules - so there will be need for some mechanical work...

Right.. So first of all I'd like to thank you all for your input. I've read good stuff about Eric's capsules and I'm really excited as a new member of this forum to have the chance to interact with all of the talented people that post here. I don't mind getting the link to Eric's mic capsules because it is helpful to research products and parts that I will need to buy to make this mod happen.

When it comes to my skill… lets just say that they are minimal… I am experienced with basic soldering (mic cables, and patch bay kinda work) but not much more. This is my first attempt at a mic mod so I totally looking to learn.

So I understand now that:
1. The M7 does not have treaded holes for mounting and that the back plate connection is made normally via the post of the metal mounting ring.
2. Due to the size (34mm) of other capsule options, some modification to the internal structure of the head basket might be needed.
3. The main issue in frequency response that we are hoping to manage is a boost around 3-4k.
4. The head basket its self is likely part of the problem when it comes to this boost.

Let me know if any of that was not understood correctly.

Questions:
1. How would you make the connection to the back plate on an M7 type.
2. Is there a way to improve the head basket so that it affects the sound less? ( could try to remove a layer or something but it might be a challenge)

Thanks again,

Benjamin

I don't mind getting the link to Eric's mic capsules

Neither would I.
And given time, I might have given it to you myself.
But that wasn't my point, of course.

Anyway, it's your thread.
And I hope you didn't mind my getting this off my chest.

Carry on.  :)

Bandogmusic said:
Right.. So first of all I'd like to thank you all for your input. I've read good stuff about Eric's capsules and I'm really excited as a new member of this forum to have the chance to interact with all of the talented people that post here.

I also read good stuff about that and also read that it's more bright than original K47. I didn't test it, so it's not my opinion.
After today "writing session" definately i'll be not testing it.

With chinese k47 at least there's very pleasant a little hf roll off.

I don't mind getting the link to Eric's mic capsules because it is helpful to research products and parts that I will need to buy to make this mod happen.

I think no one mind - that's not the point here :)

When it comes to my skill… lets just say that they are minimal… I am experienced with basic soldering (mic cables, and patch bay kinda work) but not much more. This is my first attempt at a mic mod so I totally looking to learn.

You have a good microphone to learn a lot ;)
If you will decide to make the mike in more advanced way - like testing, optimising - there's always a chance that you will get that "bacteria" and maybe you will start to making your own circuits - it's a great fun :D

1. Yes
2.  Yes - internal metal support ring probably will need a bigger hole.
3.  Yes - that's why capsule with a bump in the same range can sound nasty. Even the boost in high frequency from k67 is better than boost in the hi midrange. There's always simple option to tame HF but with midrange there will be a problem. With k67 that bump on midrange could be usefull. Higher - not really.
4.  It looks like, becuase alctron 32mm capsules don't have midrange boost by itself.

1. How would you make the connection to the back plate on an M7 type.

Currently i have all my stuff packed, but i'll try later, or tomorrow find M7 and think about something for you ;)

2. Is there a way to improve the head basket so that it affects the sound less? ( could try to remove a layer or something but it might be a challenge)

Removing layer isn't a problem. Real problem is to put it back :D
External mesh looks good, pretty big holes.
If you remove internal mesh - you will need to be carefull, especialy if you plan to invest in some capsule.
Good storing, good popfilter etc.
Am suspecting impact of internal mesh, internal metal ring and overall lollipop design.
Good option would be removing that internal ring, cutout it as marked red on the pic.

Attachments

• Cutout.jpg
    Cutout.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
micaddict said:
Eric, Piotr is not hiding. I know his full name and address and I'm no Sherlock Holmes.
(Yes, I did have some fun guessing initially.)
But why would he post all the data here?
Is that necessary to be taken seriously as a forum member?
He does put a whole lot of time, energy and effort in this forum BTW and FWIW.

I'm not posting all my data here, either, but I'd give them to you if you asked.
As a matter of fact, I was going to give them soon, since I'm eager to try your HK47.
Or in any case I was.
I've promoted your work on several fora and I've never written anything negative about you.
Quite the opposite and that's an understatement.
Also, as you may remember, I have tried to support you in every way I could when you were in the developing stage of making capsules.

But frankly, I don't like the attitude I see when for instance I read reply #14, where you talk about -the other "expert"-, emoticons or not.
To me that comes across as somewhat arrogant, sarcastic and childish while belitlling a forum member.
And when I ask if this is becoming a pattern, you immediately react quite aggressively with terms like "bullsh*t", "I will give it!!" and "for f  sake".
Apparently the shoe fits.
And apparently all my ealier support didn't give me any credit.
It was the very first time I carefully asked you a question of this sort.

The last time, in the Chinese capsule thread, when you had a similar unfortunate hickup, I didn't step in.
And a couple of incidents don't make a pattern, which is why I used the word "becoming" as well as a question mark.
But I do hope it won't become a pattern, because if it does I can guarantee it will backfire on you.
And that would be a waste of talent.
That was a compliment BTW.

Henk

Henk,

Emotions on a forum are often misunderstood and easily misread. So let me be clear. I am not upset but yes maybe a bit sensitive to the "your trying to sell your capsule" accusations as soon as I post something helpful.  Its hard not to be helpful regarding capsules when you build them.. I have some opinions based on my experience building capsules and working with other capsule builders. And Henk I always appreciate your posts and are a great part of the forum... In fact why are you even jumping in on this thread?
  Also the Chinese thread was my attempt at being funny! ...I still think it was funny by the way.  You guys get them yet?

I didn't order any ...

But I do read every thread concerning microphones and/or parts.

And again, I don't have any problem with someone being fond of his product or even trying to sell it.

Bandogmusic

Sorry for clogging up your thread.. It wasn't my intention...Let me know if you need anything by PM... ;D ;D

Thanks,
Eric

I couldn't find M7, but i found M8 - backplate connection is the same.
You could make really simple connection, but you will have to be carefull during assembly.
Solid bare wire  - first you will have to solder insulated wire (which is connected to the circuit) from one side - then make a loop - put on the capsule and twist both ends - that's it.

Attachments

• t700_531c42b094c502d54b00dbadc9898449.jpg
    t700_531c42b094c502d54b00dbadc9898449.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 12
That's awesome... interesting and elegant solution to the problem.

FYI... in case I am slow to respond it is because I ran into a family trip.  I did bring Elroy with me so I we can keep planning the mod...

"On the road, on the road..."

You can try also use small pieces of tape (Kapton for example) and stick it in three places to secure wire.

Back