revalver amp modeling by peavey talk about flexable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really want to partake in this thread with cheer and zest like everyone else  - but am clearly on the periphery. Help me please:)  I really did try the demo after you guys spoke of it. I downloaded it with enthusiasm and hoped it would be a new thing to get stuck in.  But I cant seem to get a decent sound from it. What am I doing wrong????  All the amps sound so far away and distant. I can deal with annoying hiss every now and then but none of amps I loaded from the menus sound like real guitars and amps at all.

Ive overcome the non valve like reaction of the guitar - i.e no digging into the strings and getting a different feel, but its just this plastic distance. Perhaps I am a lot stupider with computers than I think and its something to do with my set up?

Lost in the abyss, lonely and unfounded. Where am I going wrong? 

You aren't going wrong, that's just amp sims. I did say revalver sounds very good earlier on, but I actually don't use it that much. Guitar rig is my fave, but that's mainly because I have used it for so long that I can dial it in quickly. Compared to micing my amp, sims just don't hold up. I am not sure I experienced that plastic distance with revalver, but I do feel that it isn't as organic sounding as others. Like there is no natural space or depth to it. I haven't tried it out in the mix though.

Have you tried softube vintage/metal amp room? Those 2 are on my wish list.

Insomniaclown said:
You aren't going wrong, that's just amp sims. I did say revalver sounds very good earlier on, but I actually don't use it that much. Guitar rig is my fave, but that's mainly because I have used it for so long that I can dial it in quickly. Compared to micing my amp, sims just don't hold up. I am not sure I experienced that plastic distance with revalver, but I do feel that it isn't as organic sounding as others. Like there is no natural space or depth to it. I haven't tried it out in the mix though.

Have you tried softube vintage/metal amp room? Those 2 are on my wish list.

Good, this vindicates me:) As for your choice of guitar tone,  I noticed in your other thread you are a boogie fan. Yes compared to a cranked boogie this revalver program makes me conjure an anecdote like cable television - multiple infinate possibilities with the number of channels, shame about the programming though!  If you are to look for a replacement during your move, I loved the Mesa Mark IV and still do. Guess the Mark V is just the step up again.

Best of luck in your move as well. Our cross the Tasman Sea cousins do have a very pretty country. Especially the South Island.

I love boogies. I have been able to get so many different tones out of my rectoverb 50, and they are all good. The Mark V is a tweaker's dream amp! Same with the Road king's and roadsters. What isn't switchable on them? Holy beans. I think I would suffer from option anxiety with those amps. I already do with my current amp! That's a good analogy about amp sims. 120 channels, but nothings on. I tend to take the antenna approach. In guitar rig, I'll just pick an amp with it's matched cab, tweak the tone controls, and I usually find what I'm looking for. Straight forward and no nonsense. I don't mess around too much with different micing setups, cabs, and all that business.

I am going to head down to the guitar shop and trying out a bunch of amps. Marshall JVM and Engl Fireball are interesting to me. There is a triple rec going on trade me right now. Shame I won't be there in time to grab it!

I am really looking forward to the move. Well, not the move itself, but the end of the move. I know I will be heading down to Australia for some vacation time.

I have never been a boogie fan. They are just there as far as I am concerned. My Fave amp at the moment is the Fender Vibro King.  egnater amps are supposed to be the new real deal when it comes to amps but I have found them to have to many switches which would confuse the average guitar player.

Pucho812  - Yeah I love Fender amps, I truly do, and the Vibro King is just sublime. The natural vibrato out of that thing with Jensen airy speaker vibe going on in tandem is so wonderful.  But at least for the type of sounds I want to get, Fender amps to me are always just one sound. It is a truly pristine sound, and just magnificent at what it does, but I find it gives me the same dillema as it's alter ego, the Marshall stack does - it just suffers a similar limitation.  To me this is where Boogie is at its best. Two truly wonderful sounds. Maybe not either of them perfect replicas of Fenders and Marshall's, but really pleasing to me and I have owned and tried to make many different amps along the way.

Oh and as I ramble here (forgive me:)), there is another consideration about Fender amps that I forgot to throw in. -  Finding the right one that works for you can truly be something of a black art. The reason for this is because there are just so many different versions and sadly I have learnt like others have learnt, that you need to try many of them till you decide which one is right for you.  By contrast, up until more recent times, Mashalls only ever really came in 2 kinds - old school vintage (eg plexi, jtm45) or modern higher gain (eg jcm800/900). A player got to choose between a 50w or 100w, but even with those the difference between the 50 and 100 was not all that large.  One had only slightly more headroom before the power tubes started to party and other let the power tubes start the party slightly earlier!  In essence, this meant that you always knew what you were going to hear or "feel" with a Marshall amp. Fenders on the  other hand simply have so many different iterations and they all "feel" different, they really do! I mean there are Deluxe Reverbs, Bassmans, Tweed Deluxes, Super Reverbs, Princetones, Twin Reverbs, Vibro Kings, Bandmasters, Champs etc the list just keeps going on and on. Then there are blackface and silverface versions and then modern re-issues of both of those as well. The iconic Twin Reverb for instance must have at least six different versions floating around from originals to current re-issue.  Sure there are ostensibly two main Fender themes going on, cranked tweed or chimey lots of headroom blackface sound, but really each model of Fender amp has a different feel to it, not just in sound, but how it "feels" when it breaks up and what speaker configuration it comes with.   

Now back on my Boogie love - as for Boogie as a company, I think the success of the Rectifier series amongst the hard rock scene was so epic, particularly from that 90's and 2000's "nu metal" scene, that sadly it put Boogie in a very stereotyped corner. It's name has become associated with that chainsaw grindy modern heavy metal sound. Sadly this kind of typecasts boogies to only this tone when really, the Mark Series is a true vintage classic and newer designs like Lonestars can replicate absolutely beautiful vintage tones but with a lot of other benefits.  I just think that for me, putting a Mark Series Boogie against many other high price amps often revealed to me how much I loved the Boogie over a lot of those others. 

In its crudest sense, the reason I dig Boogies is because they feel and sound to me like a fender amp that has been massively hotrodded with extra gain stages. When I look at the circuit topography their schematics show this hotrodded fender platform-  where as a lot of the other boutique channel switching amps are mostly Marshalls as a baseline with hotrodded circuits added on.

Insomniaclown - I have an idea for you. Given your move and the impending separation betwen you with your amp, and given the context of this web forum - WHY NOT BUILD AN AMP? :)  I reckon this is the perfect time for you to do it. There are so many great designs out there, and you can build one combining all the sounds you want. Maybe a blackface clean channel, a JCM800 middle, and Mark IV or Dual Rect lead channel? Theres so many projects out there on the net its impossible to not find anything you need.  Oh, and do come on a holiday to Australia when you can!

you got me thinking of vintage and people swear by vintage this and vintage that.  too many variables on any one vintage amp to make those kinds of statements. For example everyone swears you gotta have a blackface version, silverface version sucks. while that may or may not be true, I have heard some shitty amps in either vintage.

Back