SA-3A (LA-3A Clone) Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ding said:
North said:
My mono build. Front Panel Express was awesome to work with!

North, do you have the fpd file for that mono build? I would love to get that going. Also where is everyone getting their EA-11184 and T4B. I see Hairball has the EA-11184 but without the frame.
  I'm looking but don't know where in the world I put it. She 's tidied up and I cant find anything :) I'll keep looking. I got my auto-former and output transformer from Studio Electronics. Great people to work with. The Neve panel I painted years ago and used rub off lettering for the texts. I sprayed a clear over it all and later on it all checked. It gave it a real vintage look for sure. My next project is the EZ1290 which i will be designing a face in FPD and using their anodized blue face plate. I used the Kenetek T4B and I'm thoroughly happy with it. It is very smooth and transparent.

Hello all,

I am building a stereo pair of this latest run and I noticed that the BOM does not specify a particular model for the SPDT front panel switches.  Could anyone share which part they used and, if possible, a corresponding Mouser part#?

Thanks

Its in the BOM. Mouser part # 108-1MS1T2B3M1QE-EVX SWITCH, TOGGLE, SPDT, ON-ON, 2A @ 230V.
The quality is ok but I would go a little more for a smoother one  ;)
For a mono build, you'll need 7 or 8 of them.

North said:
Its in the BOM. Mouser part # 108-1MS1T2B3M1QE-EVX SWITCH, TOGGLE, SPDT, ON-ON, 2A @ 230V.
The quality is ok but I would go a little more for a smoother one  ;)
For a mono build, you'll need 7 or 8 of them.

Thanks!  I see now.  I was looking at the stereo BOM, which lists the part as "Various Options," but it is right there in the mono build.

Hey all,

I built up the power supply on a pair of sa3a's and forgot that it needs a +/- 15v torroid (oops) I connected it to my 1176's torroid (+/-25v) and fried the bridge rectifier and possibly a few other parts.

My question is - the kit came with a w08g rectifier (800v), I can get a w04g readily (400v). Will the w04g be okay in this circuit?

cheers

spacecho said:
I built up the power supply on a pair of sa3a's and forgot that it needs a +/- 15v torroid (oops) I connected it to my 1176's torroid (+/-25v) and fried the bridge rectifier and possibly a few other parts.

My question is - the kit came with a w08g rectifier (800v), I can get a w04g readily (400v). Will the w04g be okay in this circuit?
The W04 (or nearly any other bridge rectifier with correct order of ~+~- terminals in a WOG package) will only work when you exchange the other blown parts (that caused the excessive current demand exceeding the W08 parts limits).
BTW there is no such thing as a +/- 15V torroid. Transformer is AC voltage in/AC voltage out. This circuits psu calls for a 30VAC secondary (or two series connected 15VAC secondary windings). Your 50VAC (+ unloaded transformer regulation, +/-10% mains under-/overvoltage) get rectified to above 70V raw DC, exceeding parts limits of the caps in front of the LM317HV voltage regulators and the HV type regulators will need a little luck to have survived. If you fitted standard LM317 vregs, these will be blown hopefully open circuit, else expect even more parts gone south downstream. Good luck.

Thanks Harpo,

yes, I will swap out the voltage regulators and caps, just wondering if it is okay to use a w04g in place of the w08g,
will swap out the parts and report back,

Thanks!

Not if you want the best, aside from an original Urie.

Regards,
Mark

jason baliban said:
Do you guys recommend any other opto besides this guy?

http://www.gearslut.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=189

Thanks!

jB

I love my Kenetek T4B, it is smooth and very transparent. I have heard nothing but praise from this unit.

I have a matched pair of Kenetek's in mine, and I couldn't be happier. Love the SA-3A.

jason baliban said:
rainton said:
I use T4Bs from Drip Electronics and I am very happy with results!!

I cant seem to find the Drip versions.  Do they still sell them?

jB

I'm not sure, but I think they do still sell them even though they're not listed on their website.
Last time I needed one I just dropped them an email and they sent me one...

Thank you for the insight here!

Do you guys think it is worth spending the extra $50 for a matched pair?  I dont know how often i will use the unit in a stereo situation.

jB

Anyone tried making your own T4B? I found the PCB, EL Panel, matched Silonex NSL5910 and relay housing for a pretty reasonable price. It doesn't seem like that difficult of a build. Anyone had any success?

Maybe I should refrase the question. I found those threads about the T4Bs before I posted here. I guess why I was posting in this specific thread is I wanted to know if anyone working on this particular build has made there own and how the feel it sounded in their la3a. I know there are several comparison threads I just posted in this one cause I felt it to be more relevant.

I rolled my own for the PeterPurpose LA3A-500.  i bought EL panels off of a guy selling them on Ebay for $15, and bought the LDRs online from some supplier (unmatched).  I also have an SA3A with kenetech T4Bs.  The two units sound identical!  no audible difference to my ears when i run the same signal thru either the PPLA3A or the SA3A, with the controls on the same setting.

Back