Say Goodbye to the 5534?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not easy to keep an old process running for over 10 years. Capital equipment breaks down and suppliers no longer support old systems. All are computerized and running some (ancient) OS be it Unix, SunOS, Linux, or Windows. One macro defect inspection system I helped develop ran on Windows NT back in 2000-04. Another was running multiple Unix and Linux flavors on various subsystems.

Now imagine a chip plant (a fab as it is known in the industry) with hundreds or thousands of such systems all running on a massive assembly line in service of one or a handful of production processes (combinations of chemistry, semi-conductor physics, optics, mechanics) to make wafers with tens to many hundreds of dies on each. The older the equipment the more breakdowns which negatively impact throughput and yield, both of which impact profit margins.

At some point either the process needs to be ported to newer equipment (major effort and expense), new "equivalent" processes must be developed for new equipment, or a whole new fab is built (say moving from older 150mm wafers and equipment to 200mm or 300mm) and new processes developed to make the older products. Huge expense and effort (years and many billions of dollars). Or the demand no longer justifies any of these options and the product(s) is (are) EOL and the fab shuttered and not upgraded or replaced.

At the moment there's still a big stock in Mouser and Farnell.
I just searched and I can also get them from Banzai and all my local electronics suppliers.

I guess it's time to do an order a small quantity as to have some stock for future repairs/builds

Has anyone used or seen the ti recommended replacement?
In the decades since the 553x came on the scene there have been multiple new technology op amps with much improved performance in various areas.

The 553x being bipolar input has DC and input current noise issues.

I would say there are probably numerous better, but different modern op amps for different applications.

JR

In the decades since the 553x came on the scene there have been multiple new technology op amps with much improved performance in various areas.

The 553x being bipolar input has DC and input current noise issues.

I would say there are probably numerous better, but different modern op amps for different applications.

JR
True….

Is it really going away in all its forms? That would truly be an end of an era. So much music has gone through them. Seems so ingrained in the industry, what will replace it for the large volume price performance?

Check out the datasheet here, page 14:

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sa5532a.pdf
It appears TI is discontinuing several variants (eg NE5532AD) and replacing them with others (eg NE5532ADR). As far as I can tell the new variants are identical other than in reel size. I don’t think the 5532 is being discontinued anytime soon.

Check out the datasheet here, page 14:

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sa5532a.pdf
It appears TI is discontinuing several variants (eg NE5532AD) and replacing them with others (eg NE5532ADR). As far as I can tell the new variants are identical other than in reel size. I don’t think the 5532 is being discontinued anytime soon.
Good news.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back