setting up a few cams around my hacienda

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

Kinda new stuff for me...

I don't live in a ghetto but I'm looking into a few security cams that save the video (maybe audio??) onto some sort of a storage system. I want the cams to have "night vision" AKA infrared so I can see the asshole who slashes tires, etc.

One maniac is known here as an insane ass ....sits on his porch and flips me off and makes threats. I need proof before call calling the cops. His Dad is a disabled ex cop ,so No Joy.

Sigh....bigger question...what make/models for cams? I guess I will have to wrangle CAT5 (whatever) wiring back to a hub and figure out a storage device.

Thanks!

Bri

Last edited:
I have Eufy brand security cameras, camera/floodlights, doorbell cam with AI package detection, and a keypad/biometric door lock. We love them. All have IR night vision, full-featured AI recognition with 30' motion trigger range, microphones and speakers with 2-way communication, and are wifi-connected and accessible by an app. The app also lets you control their unbelievably full-featured software suite, which has a mindblowing amount of bells and whistles.

The system is integrated and managed by a small, unobtrusive 'Home Base', with dual wifi/Ethernet connectivity and mucho GB of on-board storage, plus it doubles as a wifi repeater/extender for the cameras. There's no monthly contract or fee like with Ring and Arlo; once you buy it, that's the last money you'll ever spend.

The cams will run up to a full year on a charge, and the doorbell cam about 4 months. All are USB-rechargeable in a couple of hours, and the Home Base even has a USB port just for the purpose. It's a great system, albeit a quite pricey one.

Here are the models I have:

Doorbell
Door Lock
Cameras
Floodlights

Last edited:
I installed a 4 camera system to track squirrels in my pecan trees... I'm cheap so I bought a Swann system (I just checked and the prices look higher now than back in 2019).

I used a hardwired system and point the cameras out windows so the night vision doesn't work well,,, I just see the IR LEDs reflected off the windows.

It has dvr to record streams but i don't use that.

[edit- those new ring doorbell cameras are widely seen in TV news. If your nasty neighbors are directly across from your front door, a ring camera might work for you.

My brother has one of those fancy doorbell cameras with microphone and speaker. He says it is useful for accepting deliveries when not home. /edit]

JR

Last edited:
Back