Skylar's debut album—out now.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Soul Rebel said:
Skylar

i really love your packaging.

I'm also in the process of recording an album with my band New Soul Rebel here in the UK.

Would really value any advice you can give me on the best (and simplest) way of packaging up our album like you have here.

How did you get it on spotify?/Itunes?Google?Amazon?
What's involved in getting the songs registered?
How do you copyright them?
How much does it cost to get all that vinyl done?

Great work mate, and congratulations on getting it finished and finally produced. Sounds great.

Regards
Matt

As far as physical packaging goes, I am a big fan of powerful imagery and little else.
On my record I was fortunate to secure Geddes' cosmonaut image on the cover. When you have an image of that magnitude, anything you add (text, graphics, etc.) is only going to detract.
I've spent many years in awe of Hipgnosis' work, and that was a big inspiration.

Anyone in your group savvy with graphic design? Choose a color theme, ONE font, and maybe some imagery that can stay constant and be repeated (for me, it's the gray cube...more or less a logo and branding effort).

Keep things simple and consistent.

I did all the digital distribution (Spotify, iTunes, etc.) through CDBaby. Enter in all the required info, pay a nominal fee (~$60USD), and they take care of setting it all up.

I'm not well versed in British copyright laws, but I registered my copyrights in the United States through http://www.mysparkcopyright.com/
There's probably a similar service in the UK.

Vinyl pressing cost will depend on quantity and who's pressing it. Mine was done by Record Industry in The Netherlands via Furnace MFG in the US. Total cost for 500 units was about $3300USD.

Thank you for the kind words and good luck!

Hey,

always good to hear some music from us around here, only talking tech... :)
The cover is great, reminds me a bit of the Sammy Hager Cover TEN 13 :)

Recorded with DIY is great too! (soundcloud is not working!?)

Seeing/hearing my album mixed were my step into DIY, to hear what some good gear in addition to some magic hands/hears can do to simple, low budget recorded material.... unbelievable ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8AdqS1KUKE )

ROCK-ON!

Back