So this Valentines day I promised my wife..............

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowfreq

that I wouldn't buy her flowers or chocolate, but I would sort out what she's been hinting at for ages...............

I promised that on valentines day I would write and record her a love song from scratch :-*.......... before she got home from work......... :eek:
So at 8am , I started writing and the mix was done by 9pm............ phew!! and I went to work for  5 hours in between. Lucky she's an ambulance officer and works 12 hour shifts 8)

So excuse any ruffness or crap lyrics,  I was on hyperdrive. also the mp3 dosen't help................ the wav file is heaps better, yada yada ya.......
It may not be everyones cup of tea (i'm not sure if it's even my cup of tea. not my usual writing style), but it was more the fun of the challenge.

She's been playing it around the house non stop since ;D so I scored some brownie points, which paid off........ um .....err....... later on....... ha ha

Here's the final result. It should play automatically when the page starts. (You can also download it for free) It's called "Love Blur" http://www.page28music.com/music.html

It made for a different kind of valentine.........

This is year 4 of valentines day songs. It's the only time in a year I actually record a song and finish producing it!
She tells me every January what the style should be. Last year, it was reggae, this year, country..

However, I'd never post here. :)
My lyric writing is awful, my understanding of harmony is just plain bad, and my musician skills are just poor.

Anyway - my technique so far is:
1: sing in the shower and find a nice melody
2: find a lyric that's a hook.
3: map the melody to real notes
4: map chords to melody, and improvise till it sounds good.
5. Record to cubase, with drums on demand disk.

I'm not proud of my records, but with little time to dedicate, and a work schedule that has me out of the county 1 week in 4 - Getting the tune in my head to cd as quickly as possible is my goal.

There. That's my confession.

Btw - writing songs for your wife/gf wins MAJOR brownie points ;)

Cheers for the comments,

My wife posted it on her facebook, and we got a huge response, so we've made it a free download.
So go help yourself to a free cheesy love song, if you'd like  :-*

We decided to to call the song "Love Blur", and released it  through my band "Page 28"

Here's the linkie dinkie ;D It'll play automatically, but on the bottom left you can right click and save the song.
http://www.page28music.com/music.html

Good on ya mate, great song and recording!

Just curious, which diy gear did you use and for what application in the song, eg. vocals, kit, etc.

MartyMart said:
can't believe that was in one day !!
It's the fastest I've ever worked. :eek: Vocals were just two takes, as I didn't time to go through and comp everything.
Instruments were all pretty much one take. The writing is what took the longest. i wrote the verses btween 8am-10am, then went to work, came home for lunch at 1pm ,recorded the guitars, and the verse vox, went back to work, got home at 5:30pm wrote and recorded the chorus, and then the rest of the instruments.
I was planning it all out in my head while at work, so I knew how it should sound before i got back to the studio.
Maybe I work better under a bit of pressure..........

Here's what I used.

Main Vocal - Royer Mod tube mic in and old Rode NT2 body. Dale M7 capsule, and cinemag 2480---> JLM 99v pre with lundahl 1538 in, jensen JT123al out-----> La2a(silentarts) with Sowters----->Mytek Stereo96ac

BV's some as above, but used my tele250 clone with Tim Campbell CT12 capsule

Acoustic------->sm57-----JLM 99v pre------> Mytek Stereo96ac
Elec Gtrs-----> marshall jmp-1 pre into DI on profire 2626 interface

Cymbals - AT4050---->JLM 99v pre------> Mytek Stereo96ac

Rest of drums made of of loops and samples, all cut up and mashed together.

Bass and keys were all done with VI's

I was gonna replace the sm57 guitar track ,as I only used that because the mic was setup already, but kinda ran out of time to redo it, and it didn't sound too bad. Not the greatest acoustic sound ever, but not the worst either.
The La2a was slamming pretty hard on the way in, and I only really notice the meter during the second vocal take, but it was too late by then, and it sounded kinda cool.

Mixed ITB in PT mpowered 8.something..........

Back