Some vca op amp Ic and cap questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEEFY

I have a couple of pieces of cheap gear I bought use and would like to swap some components.

I bought a jbl m712 I couldn't find a lot of info on this. I picked it up maybe 6 months a year back. It was 40 dollars so I figure what the heck I'll give it a shot. When I plugged it in and tryed it out it was noisy and what ever the opposite of smooth was. So I had some extra panasonic FM s around and I swapped out all the polarized electrolytic caps  out. That actually smoothed it out and got rid of the noise problems so I would like to swap out some of the chips and there is non polar electrolytics in it so I would like to swap those out too. I'm not an electronics engineer just mod some things so I have limited knowledge, but I've done this type of stuff before so here is the questions on this piece of gear.

The non polar electrolytic caps should I replace these with wima film?
there is some ssm 2120 vca chips in there I did a search and it said there is some that replacements for this I would like to swap out those anybody know a good replacement or anything about this?
There are some other ICs and op amps  I would like to replace I don't really know anything about these ones, but I will list them and if anyone knows anything about them or any replacements let me know.

they read like this
rc5532n
rh412

ka339

M39XX
LF
353N

jrc

Any that or national replacements for these?

The other piece of gear I bought was an aphex 207. It's not the 207D with the digital outs its and older one. I picked that up yesterday on a whim for 150 it had some push button switches that were really sticky. Had to pull them out to get them to shut off I plugged it in to see how it sounded and was really impressed not noisy at all. pretty smooth. I opened it up to clean the switches and looked at the components. Apparently its a chip based pre with a tube kind of acting like an output transformer I could be wrong. The switches cleaned up well. They are kind of cheap feeling but the work well. The components looked ok but apparently you can swap out the chips and it makes it sound better here are my questions on it.

It has WIMA film caps in it but not the MKP ones. They look a little different more rounded edges. They are labled MN and M9 on them would it be worth it to switch these out for MKP WIMA caps?

I don'r know which one is the pre amp chip but I would like to replace the op amp IC and other chips in this unit as well. I also have here is the list of chips in it. I have a question on one too?

BB
OPA2134PA
16ZHNW

Is this a burrs brown or an opa? is this the pre amp chip?

JM16AP
LF
353N

Is this just another brand of the LF 353N? I see a few of these in both units. Any info on theses?

PM12AB
LM
393M

OMRON 03X1Y1
G6H-2
5VDC

These are either 10 or 8 pin there much larger than the other chips if they're are chips at all they are a lot thicker height wise too? The pins look to be directly underneath instead of on the side going down? What the heck are they? Is there a better Quality component?

there is also another brand of the

ne5532n in there

There is one other chip on the digital VU meter

JH130AG
LM3159N-1

would this even effect the sound?

Sorry for the long post. I'm not sure if all the chips and things I mentioned would effect the sound.. I mostly do cut and paste mods with the chips and caps I need already set out for me or I blanket the board I'm working with, with Panasonic FM caps. Any info on what would be good to replace? Good national or that replacements for them or other brands? I'm not expecting miracles. I would like to improve the headroom on these units some and maybe smooth them out a little? I know I have a lot of questions but any help would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back