Sound Sample: Ela M251 (non E) vs. REAS P250

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not interested in beating a drum here.  The reason I checked into this thread is because I am constantly revising my opinions on everything, nothing is set in stone for me.  I figured I'd come here and listen.

I still don't believe in sound samples.  And my reasoning is partly based on the fact that I have heard a lot of gear and then heard sounds samples that are supposed to represent said gear that sound nothing like what I've heard and experienced hands on.  I cannot stand when beginners base opinions or worse, purchase decisions on misrepresentative samples.

There are also many factors that are not known in a test, perhaps this singer has a really poor tone (I doubt it), or maybe the room or signal chain after the mic is part of what I'm hearing (again not likely but I can't be rule it out).

The final reason I hate these sound sample threads is confirmation bias and group think.  The assumption here among those who have listened is that the 251 is a perfect point of reference when in fact it just sounds bad.  My job is to listen to audio with a fresh ear and make a decision on how it sounds and what it needs, I have to trust my own ears.

I have no agenda here.  I don't sell mics or kits or anything else.  My goal is to give back a little and try to educate in areas where I have strong practical experience while I am learning from some of the many smart people here.

And again I should say that I have nothing bad to say about Paul, I'm sure he's a great guy working hard every day to make things sound as good as possible.  I have no interest in getting into a credibility pissing match.

To the REAS people whoever they are I wish them luck with their mic.

We have a graph.  :)

And this will show that the Ela M does have a slight "problem".  Uh, oh, I'm putting on my flame suit now.
It has a 50 Hz hum from the PSU as is clearly visible in the graph. I'll add that this looks much worse than it is. The graph shows energy content related to frequency (of the vocal take; not a pink noise). Keep in mind that the hum is there all the time whereas all other frequencies only occur part of the time.
Still, at -62 dB it should be audible if you crank up your system (something my current hearing problem won't allow; I'm extra careful at the moment).
Also, bear in mind that this will not make the Ela M sound dreadful!
I had seen the graph before, but I had honestly forgotten about the hum.

Anyway, the really important matter of course is the resemblance with the REAS P250:

http://www.reas-audio.com/M251-P250.png

Nah, these plots are not helping. With a resolution like that, any two mikes will look the same. Also, the hum seems to be quite loud. This is not -62 dBu but about 10 dB below average level.

As I've said before in another thread, it's hard if not impossible to form an opinion based on sound files alone. The ELA M251 does sound strange. The REAS sounds better, but that's just an assessment based on one source in one environment. And we're comparing it to a vintage mic in uncertain condition.

However, I like that someone came up with a non-clone FET mic.

Back