Sourcing hardware for diy mic shockmounts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vintagelove

Hi, looking for advice (maybe just language?) in sourcing mounting hardware for diy shockmounts.

Long story short, I have the JZ vintage 67, great mics, but the mounts are not optimal. I have a friend who will work with me to 3d print the part that holds the mic, and the hoop that it will suspend from. What I would like to find commercially available are,

The part that screws onto the mic stand
The screw that locks the mount into place
The bands that suspend the mount

Embarrassing as it is, I've made it this far in life without knowing the actual names of those parts... any sources for these parts, or advice on diy shockmounts would be greatly appreciated.

PS, there are no good solutions for mounts with a mic as wide and flat as the JZ vintage series. So buying an already made one isn't an option. Their recommendation for a mount, well... let's just say I wouldn't trust it to hold my mic.IMG_3204.jpeg

You probably won't find companies that sell the threaded base (5/8" 27 thread) or the little clutch piece individually, unless you contact a manufacturer— Shenzen or Ningbo company, who will only take a huge order.

Have you thought about simply adding an adapter, like one from Triad Orbit or OnStage so that you have more flexible options? I haven't hear complaints about their mounts, but maybe they have problems? I used the ones with the two bottom screws (Vintage 11, I think) and it was fine.

I would recommend looking at lots of shockmounts from high-end manufacturers to see what they use. Then find some mounts that have parts that you could re-purpose along with your custom adaptations.

For instance, Milab uses the Rycote mounts for a similar microphone shape. Most other mic companies have custom shockmounts because they have large orders...

Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 5.38.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-04-17 at 5.37.28 PM.png

Latest posts

Back