SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone,
I just got ready to ordere the parts for the build and noticed no item for IC1 in the BOM piotr provided. Thank´s again!
Farnell offered me those when I searched for MAT02, Mouser had none in stock.
http://de.farnell.com/magnatec/bfy81/transistor-dual-npn-to-77/dp/1208600?Ntt=Low+Noise%2C+Matched+Dual+Monolithic+Transistor&isRedirect=true
or these, if I look for MAT12:
http://de.farnell.com/analog-devices/mat12ahz/transistor-npn-dual-matched-6to/dp/2067850

Is one of them good, or should I keep searching for a MAT02 from Analog Devices?

regards, Kvothe

you are welcome. I just received my order last week btw so he still has stock i believe

chrispsound said:
Would you be able to share your FPD file?

Sure, no problem.  I have the .fpd file.  The scales were made for a 15mm Basic Selco Collet Knob (top) and 21mm Basic Selco Collet Knob (bottom).  Selco's website has the exact specs.  The countersinks are just a pinch too big but still look nice in a 500/51X rack ( I will someday figure out proper 500 series countersink specs but it would be nice if there was a standard.) 
Email:  chrispsound at yahoo dot com
ChrisP

Chris I'm looking at the knobs now. Did you go with the 6mm version or the 1/4 version of the knobs?

G

Hello guys,

after blowing the 16v+ fuse 2 times, I read the thread again and found the mistake (earthplane short). Both preamps power up normally now, but one has about half the gain of the other, which I presume is working correctly, because it behaves similar to the other preamps I built. The "low gain" one does not distort or anything spectacular, just lower output.
Did this happen to someone here? Could it be the gain pot?

regards, kvothe

51388-110913082122-1792213.jpeg

51388-110913082122-178735.jpeg

51388-110913082122-1809.jpeg

Hey, nice frontpanel  ;)
Actually the first post using my front layout.

Your lower gain sounds more like a wrong resistor
value somewhere. But measuring the pot end to
end won't hurt.

Just probe around using your working unti
as reference.

Best,
Carsten

You can control the feedback resistor in OPamp.

The Mat12 transistor or LM394 probably are with different low gain.

can someone answer my question a few responses up in regards to the sifam knobs?

Thanks

bruno2000 said:
[silent:arts] said:
do you have a list for the many transformer footprints you put on the PCB?

Cinemag CM-75101APC
Carnhill VTB9045 (via included adapter plates)
Hairball EA-10468 (Ed Anderson)
Lundahl 1538 (or several other Lundahls with the same footprint)
Jensen JT 110 and 115 PC mount
OEP  A262A3C

I think that's it!

Best,
Bruno2000

So can someone tell me what the secret is to mounting this Jensen transformer it is the one ending in PC as mentioned above and it does not fit any orientation I try... :-\

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    850.3 KB · Views: 132
bruno2000 said:
[silent:arts] said:
do you have a list for the many transformer footprints you put on the PCB?

Cinemag CM-75101APC
Carnhill VTB9045 (via included adapter plates)
Hairball EA-10468 (Ed Anderson)
Lundahl 1538 (or several other Lundahls with the same footprint)
Jensen JT 110 and 115 PC mount
OEP  A262A3C

I think that's it!

Best,
Bruno2000

Here is a Pic of the bottom of the transformer

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    827.6 KB · Views: 60
Greetings folks,
The current Jensen 115 mic transformer WILL NOT fit on the board without modification.  The Jensen 110 PC mount transformer will fit.
Sorry for the confusion.
Best,
Bruno2000

Thanks Bruno I already sent it back and have a 110 on the way would have loved the extra dB though in any case I have another issue.

The LEDs that I ordered are too short for my Phase, POL,48, and HPF...they are the same LEDs everyone else has listed. Is there something I'm forgetting to do or are there LEDs with longer legs. I bend them over the switch but when the faceplate is installed they barely even go through the holes they don't even go thru half way?

Toure14 said:
Thanks Bruno I already sent it back and have a 110 on the way would have loved the extra dB though in any case I have another issue.

The LEDs that I ordered are too short for my Phase, POL,48, and HPF...they are the same LEDs everyone else has listed. Is there something I'm forgetting to do or are there LEDs with longer legs. I bend them over the switch but when the faceplate is installed they barely even go through the holes they don't even go thru half way?

I get all of my LEDs from futurlec.com, and have not had any trouble with lead length.  If you'll PM your mailing address, I'll send some to you (color?) to make up for the transformer SNAFU.
Best,
Bruno2000

Hi Everybody. This is the first post I ever made in a Forum, so please forgive me, if i did anything wrong! ;-)
Can anybody tell me which Bridge rectifier for the 9k to choose? I don't see the dimensions it needs to fit into the pcb...but maybe I'm just a bit blind?!

Thank you!

All the best,
fatheaddrummer

A standard 1A DIL Bridge Rectifier will be sufficient.
IIRC the package is called DF01. At least searching
for DF01 brings up the right parts at distributors like
Farnell or Mouser.

BTW: Welcome to the board!

Best,
Carsten

culteousness1 said:
A standard 1A DIL Bridge Rectifier will be sufficient.
IIRC the package is called DF01. At least searching
for DF01 brings up the right parts at distributors like
Farnell or Mouser.

BTW: Welcome to the board!

Best,
Carsten

This is so very important!  I have seen several builds with "round" bridge rectifier chips with the wrong pin-out.  The correct one is square and configured like this:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/DF01M-E3-45/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtQ8nqTKtFS%2fMRt2%2f0z7BctJApgXuK0Fhk%3d

Best,
Bruno2000

Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for your quick reply!!! :D

There's another question: How can i substitute the MAT-02H? I was trying to find replacements for this part, but i wasn't successful  :-\ Unfortunately I haven't had the time to check out the other IC's...are there another hard to find ones?

I am so looking forward to building up this preamp! Thank you Bruno2000!!!  ;D

All the best,
Fatheaddrummer

Latest posts

Back