SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fishdrop said:
Hey Bruce0. Thanks. i really appreciate your help.

bruce0 said:
I should point out though, that while I think jensen's calculation would have you choose the 110, that my copy of bruno's 4K schematic specified the Jensen 115EPC as a choice (this might have changed), which is a slightly higher ratio (1:10 vs 1:8) and uses no zobel and a lighter load on the secondary.

right now im torturing myself if i should go for JT110 (good match to the op amp) or if i should use the JT115 (like in the original SSL 4000 channels)

does an original SSL Channel use a different OP amp? or is it the same? i wonder if there is a big sound difference between those two trannies.

Bruce0: How do you like your Pre with the JT115 soundwise / musically??

i know that the PCB douesn't take the JT115, but on gustav's pcb there are holes where i could build a mount for a cabled version of a trannie. Do you have a picture of your JT115 mount??

all the best

I didn't use the Jensen, I used an old trafo that I had lying around, either an altec or a beyer I forget.  Hotglued, wiretied and wired into place.

The two in the schematic are both 1:10

I think your choice would be best.

I don't know what the original ssl schematic used, maybe you can find the schemo and figure out the ratio.

i put some effort into making a BOM cart on mouser for the SSL 4k5:

it contains everything except pots, ic sockets and transformer:
http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=bffc101b82

would be nice if someone could doublecheck my work.
I'm wonder if i chose the right ICs, if power supply and audio grade caps are the right ones and if the relays will work in this application.

it also led me to one question. i put led's with a clear lens into my cart, because i liked the ideo of having this special look.
do they drag to much power?? ar they ok??
if not i will take low current LED's

if everything is corrected i want to ask Bruno to put it on the first post.

fishdrop said:
I'm wonder if i chose the right ICs, if power supply and audio grade caps are the right ones and if the relays will work in this application.

There is a significant difference between the 5534 and the 5534A chips.  The A chips are selected chips.  They have maximum noise figures.  They have lower typical noise figures.  You can look at the table provided and see that (or look at the data sheets).  They cost a few cents more per chip, sometimes they are cheaper.

I don't think you will be able to tell the difference.

I can't tell what caps go where, I suggest being a little selective for the caps in the audio path.  Panasonic FM series caps are supposed to be ok (low esr).  There are other choices.

Again, pretty sure you can't tell the difference, but for small money you don't have to wonder whether you could have.

fishdrop said:

it also led me to one question. i put led's with a clear lens into my cart, because i liked the ideo of having this special look.

Greetings,
Thank you for your efforts!  I'll be happy to copy to my first post once it is verified.
Best,
Bruno2000

bruno2000 said:
fishdrop said:

Greetings,
Thank you for your efforts!  I'll be happy to copy to my first post once it is verified.
Best,
Bruno2000

i recently ordered this cart.
so i think building the project will be the verification  ;)

the cart does not contain LEDs and IC Sockets, because i find those tings much cheaper in european sources.

the cart contains parts for the zobel network of a Jensen JT110.
i will delete those parts. so nobody's gonna order these parts who doesn't need them.

fishdrop said:
just checked my parts for the 9k build.

newbie quesion.

will this work for L1, L2 ??
15uH 610mA
DC resistance 0,6 Ohm
Q >= 50

These inductors will work. They are just for HF filtering on the input of the preamp and could probably even be left out and replaced with some wire and a small ferrite.

How critical are RA and RB?

I don't have the correct value, and looking at the schematic, I am suspecting they are just there to make sure theres not 0 resistance, even i the pot is dialed down....

I have 22R, 15R, so I could make 30R and 44R in series, but I am wondering if I could just put a 22R in both places and be close enough.

(Sorry, trying to understand/test a hunch. If not, I would just make the series resistance with the values I have).

Gustav

Gustav said:

I don't have the correct value, and looking at the schematic, I am suspecting they are just there to make sure theres not 0 resistance, even i the pot is dialed down....

I have 22R, 15R, so I could make 30R and 44R in series, but I am wondering if I could just put a 22R in both places and be close enough.

(Sorry, trying to understand/test a hunch. If not, I would just make the series resistance with the values I have).

Gustav

I'd go for the 30r and 44r just to be safe.  Just my $0.02.
Best,
Bruno2000

Gustav said:

Just run the numbers with your max.gain setting substituted parts (15R, 22R, 2*15R=30R, 15R+22R=37R or 2*22R=44R) in cell B25 and cell B30 to see the result ...

Thanks to both of you, I went with 25/37, and it seems to be fine. I still don't really understand the function though :)

I thought these looked a lot harder to build than they actually were, and most parts were easy to find.

Got the Mat02 from electrochromic.

Gustav

Attachments

• 9K5-Done2.gif
    9K5-Done2.gif
    278.8 KB · Views: 107
Hello All,

Inspired by fishdrop, and having just purchased two PCBs, I put together a Mouser BoM for the SSL9k5.

This one includes everything except for IC sockets, pots, and the MAT02.

N.B.: this BoM specifies Panasonic DS2Y-S-DC12V for RL1, RL2, RL3.  According to this post by gar381 the Panny relays will work.

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=457550cd50

I consider myself a "seasoned beginner" so, if someone is so inclined to error check the BoM I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

-mtw

Hey,

here are some pictures of my two SSL 4k5. the mouser cart i put together works.

SSL%204k5%201.JPG

SSL%204k5%202.JPG

SSL%204k5%203.JPG

the only issue is that i have very different gain pot settings to get two ad converter channels meter set to the same level.

is this a normal tolerance of a gain pot???
do i have to check something??? or how can i check if their are any problems?

i did the caibration procedure like described

both channels sound good to me (checked it with my voice and Sennheiser Blackfire 531)

all the best

fishdrop said:
bruno2000 said:
Nice build!  I really like the rear brackets.

thanks. i have to admit that the case is a A Designs 500HR and i didn't make it by myself.
the only thing i did is the modules.  ::)

Did you see my gain pot question??
is there anything to worry about? or is it normal

Those pots are probably 20%.  To verify your builds, sub in (2) 5k resistors for the pots on each board, and see if the output is equal.
Best,
Bruno2000

ok i tried my Jazz Bass with one of my Bo Hansen DI's.
the sound is awesome  ;D there are so many details i can hear now. wicked.

my SPL Track One with Lundahl inside has to step back i think.

i think the gain problem was not a gain problem at all. the two mics i used have diferent output level.
tried both channels mit Bass an BO DI. gain pot positions now almost match. i think i can call them ready  ;D ;D

Back