SSL AWS Desk faders issues

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

Hi to everybody ,
I accompanied a friend which had to do the analog mix
of a couple rock-blues songs ,
at a studio equipped with SSL AWS console ,
and a good number of nice analog outboards .... ,

during the mix session various moving faders of the AWS desk
gave some problem of "instability" ,
and it was necessary to place them several times at the necessary point
to "stabilize" them ,
even having to slide them several times up and down throughout their excursion ,
as if the contact rails were dirty ,

the owner of studio told us that soon he would have to pass the technician to solve the problem ,

back at home checked a bit online about this issue ,
and found that many AWS desk owners
have had issues with the faders ,
and that they have been forced to replace them
for fix the problem ,
(what a "shame" for a more than 60,000 bucks console..)

but the faders can be cleaned as for Penny & Giles ,
and recalibrated ?

thanks for any related info !!!
cheers .

Last edited:
you can clean them. It’s pretty straight forward. I have done several consoles worth. Ssl has videos showing how to do that if you have questions.

Thanks for info , pucho812 !!
checked a bit online for video about how clean AWS faders ,
unfortunately (as already..) found only various AWS (..rather angry) owners that have had to replace them ,

if possible please post related links
thanks

Some p&g models are end of life. The alps as found in the aws and duality desks are quite good. Every fader needs a cleaning now and then. It’s usual maintenance

Of course the maintenance of the analog gear need be done !
to always have the top performance ,

but that on the AWS 900 and on the more expensive Duality the faders are Alps (normally found on remote cotrollers , and so much less expensive desks )
no "sounds good" at all .

Last edited:
Of course the maintenance of the analog gear need be done !
to always have the top performance ,

but that on the AWS 900 and on the more expensive Duality the faders are Alps (normally found on remote cotrollers , and so much less expensive desks )
no "sounds good" at all .
Never heard a person complain about the sound of a fader. Look and feel sure but never heard about sound of a fader.

Never heard a person complain about the sound of a fader. Look and feel sure but never heard about sound of a fader.
...... c'mon there is always a first time ...

but like if in a supercar the wheels are the same as in a hatchback that is worth a small fraction of that ,
it is still okay to pay for the supercar as if it had supercar wheels ?

Hmmmm....maybe I've been lucky since most desks I've used had P&G faders....never had a second thought about "sound" the faders added.

Or....do P&G faders impart a "bad sound"?

What about TKD faders?

Are we counting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? lol

Bri

I do complain a lot about "fader sound". Those pesky motorized faders can be very noisy! Ever used a Pro Control? Or those Avid S6? Faders are great until they die, then they can be noisy as hell!

Of course, i'm talking about mechanical noise. 😉

Thomas

Back