The Braunbuch - it´s here!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as a historical reminder, "Braunbuch" what means "Brownbook" was called that way with refference to the politcal color of choice durring that time, that was not a choice in the first place, after WWII the name was not changed like so many other things and thoughts. The east german broadcast network changed the name as the color of the book to blue...
Here, an attempt is made to establish the ideological reference of the term "Brown Book*" to the so-called "Brown Movement", i.e. the Nazis. As if the technical manufacturers and broadcasters wanted to document their favoured political direction with it.

Sorry, that is total nonsense. I have no idea where this came from, but it cannot be proven in any way.

Why?

Because there are a few minor problems to substantiate this baseless claim. First, the term "Braunbuch" in our context has its origins before the Nazi regime. Another "problem" is that broadcasting was traditionally "red" (stands for people the Nazis do not like), not brown. Hitler and especially the later propaganda minister Goebbels had great difficulty in "cleaning up" radio and bringing it onto their line. That took time...

Another small problem for this steep thesis is that the "Brown Movement" was only a part of the Nazi gang. Very powerful at the beginning, but after the so-called "Röhm Putsch" (1934!) the brown SA shirt was as good as a Wagner Group emblem today in the Kremlin, career-wise . The colour of choice was now black(..for a fast Nazi career)

For those interested in this topic, here is some info. I have no idea how good this can be AI translated....

https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/das_braunbuch_und_die_braunbuch_bezeichnungen.html#google_vignette
Braunbuecher.jpg

*The term brown book has been used inflationarily by many political currents over time. Esoterics and other crackpots also like such terms, the fascination of the evil probably, which always sells very well, too.

However, the whole discussion about the Brown Book distracts from much more important and also exciting topics. The context of media and broadcasting technology in fascism (and other totalitarian movements) is too important for short-winded and sensationalist threads.

This is something that should be talked about...

Last edited:
*The term brown book has been used inflationarily by many political currents over time. Esoterics and other crackpots also like such terms, the fascination of the evil probably, which always sells very well, too.

However, the whole discussion about the Brown Book distracts from much more important and also exciting topics. The context of media and broadcasting technology in fascism (and other totalitarian movements) is too important for short-winded and sensationalist threads.

Ideology et al is better relegated to the Brewery for discussion.

The Lab is established for discussing repairs and troubleshooting electronic gear.

JR

The Lab is established for discussing repairs and troubleshooting electronic gear.
Then why are you moving this thread to the Lab? I am only responding to what I see as an untenable thesis. Let's be honest, you're not exactly stingy with ideological contributions, even outside the brewery, not to mention your countless Peavey anecdotes in all subforums...

Then why are you moving this thread to the Lab? I am only responding to what I see as an untenable thesis. Let's be honest, you're not exactly stingy with ideological contributions, even outside the brewery, not to mention your countless Peavey anecdotes in all subforums...
I apologize if I haven't been clear about what I am trying to do. I tried to explain myself multiple times along the way but deleted some of those posts to reduce clutter from the tech docs section.

I did not "move" the Tech docs thread. I moved a few posts from the existing tech docs thread (still there) that didn't seem appropriate for the technical documents section into this already existing (since 2005) Lab thread about the "Brown Book", where wide ranging general discussions about the brown book would be less of a distraction to the technical documents sub forum.

In my judgement, the availability of obscure documentation is a suitable topic for discussion in a repair and troubleshooting sub forum. Likewise IMO discussion about fascism is more of a Brewery topic.

Your criticism is noted.

JR

PS: I also deleted another brown book thread today that didn't seem to have anything of value in it. It appears the cleanup continues.

Here, an attempt is made to establish the ideological reference of the term "Brown Book*" to the so-called "Brown Movement", i.e. the Nazis. As if the technical manufacturers and broadcasters wanted to document their favoured political direction with it.

Sorry, that is total nonsense. I have no idea where this came from, but it cannot be proven in any way.

Why?

Because there are a few minor problems to substantiate this baseless claim. First, the term "Braunbuch" in our context has its origins before the Nazi regime. Another "problem" is that broadcasting was traditionally "red" (stands for people the Nazis do not like), not brown. Hitler and especially the later propaganda minister Goebbels had great difficulty in "cleaning up" radio and bringing it onto their line. That took time...

Another small problem for this steep thesis is that the "Brown Movement" was only a part of the Nazi gang. Very powerful at the beginning, but after the so-called "Röhm Putsch" (1934!) the brown SA shirt was as good as a Wagner Group emblem today in the Kremlin, career-wise . The colour of choice was now black(..for a fast Nazi career)

For those interested in this topic, here is some info. I have no idea how good this can be AI translated....

https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/das_braunbuch_und_die_braunbuch_bezeichnungen.html#google_vignette
View attachment 115171

I appreciate the response, and I will definitely consider all of your points!

In my judgement, the availability of obscure documentation is a suitable topic for discussion in a repair and troubleshooting sub forum. Likewise IMO discussion about fascism is more of a Brewery topic.
This is a discussion about Documents, not repair or troubleshooting.

You have caused a lot of confusion and put a sort of negative energy into the thread, starting with your initial removal of posts and attributing bad motives to multiple forum members. You have made it hard to follow, made it so posts now cover the same info repetitively, and have also flung around names.

Can you consider letting discussion play out in the forum that is relevant and in general lightening up?

I think Rock has put forward an interesting perspective on German history and the term Braunbuch ,
its not specifically linked to the Nazi's ,
I imagine it more as statement of intention on behalf of the author , a definative collection , on what ever subject it happens to be about ,

A needless kneejerk John ,
and do we simply bury the darkest aspect of history to preserve our own rose tinted bias?
allow healthy discussion on an obviously uncomfortable subject or try and shut it down ,

Don't mention the war sketch from Faulty Towers comes to mind :D
1696287902350.png

That’s not all of the Braunbuch.
There's no such thing as the 'Braunbuch' in form of a book or something alike. It was a folder system, a way to keep an organised collection of technical descriptions of radio-related devices. The workshops of the individual stations had their individual collections of the devices available at their station. Basically what each of us has as a 'schematics' folder nowadays.
It does sound a lot more mysterious though when it's called 'Braunbuch', 'Schaltungssammlung' does not have that special V2 vibe, does it ;-)

The descriptions had a standardised form (devive name / picture / description / technical data / schematics) and were relatively short, so it is easy to find the most important data like necessary adjustments, but no in depth explanations. I guess maybe 10 pages max., definitely no diy vibe there.

I have gone through several meters of Braunbuch documentation back in the 90s, most of it was obviously repetitive as these folders were collected from different places and the mics, preamps and tape machines were pretty much the same everywhere in those radio stations.

There's no such thing as the 'Braunbuch' in form of a book or something alike.

Well, that isn’t what I was suggesting.

Anyway, the reason I had written that is that there is an index of many braunbuch documents available here:

https://groupdiy.com/threads/braunbuch.85238/#post-1112443
…which makes it easy to write the post you quoted from me. That’s what I was getting at, I knew it wasn’t all because I had seen this reference index. Which itself still isn’t complete.

I’m sure that the thread has been hacked up so much by one of the mods that it has now become hard to follow.

It was interesting reading your perspective, glad you shared it.

Last edited:
Hello dear forum members. I hope it's ok to post this question here.

I have some problems with finding info about Siemens SV704/1 tube preamp (?).

1713851495975.png

It came from old broadcasting console, it's two blocks- one PSU one amp, preamp? Don't really know. Costumer wants to give me these instead of money for repair, and I was wondering how much could they be worth...
So far I only found SV20 and SV70 documentation in The Braunbuch.
Is there anyone with more knowledge on where to look on, or has any idea what this could be?
The console was MONO, of course.

1713851551359.png
1713851586668.png

All help appreciated!
Kind regards,
John

Is third tube in the amp another E80L? As you probably know E80F is often used at mic amp inputs, microphone amps and similar, E80L does 2,7W in class a and is typically used for low power amps. 200r markings on what look like audio transformers are confusing, original markings on the side might reveal more.
p.s.: you might want to move this away from Braunbuch thread

Is third tube in the amp another E80L? As you probably know E80F is often used at mic amp inputs, microphone amps and similar, E80L does 2,7W in class a and is typically used for low power amps. 200r markings on what look like audio transformers are confusing, original markings on the side might reveal more.
p.s.: you might want to move this away from Braunbuch thread
Thank you for answering!
I will remove the post. I also think this is not a good place to post it...
Will have to find some long gone and forgotten tube preamp thread.

Some people suggested that this is microphone preamp with 60dB of gain, and it can be compared to V76... but I'm not sure ATM.

Cheers,
John

Siemens Austria = WSW, usually very good quality gear. These are rather early 1950s modules, same AKG connectors as the more well known 1960s modules. Very little information on these available, unfortunately. One is def. a PSU (AZ21 = rectifier, plus a selenium one), the other most likely a line preamp, as a later generation WSW line amp also had E80F on the front, and E80L as an output tube. The third tube type is unreadable, but as it is shock-mounted, it indicates a high-gain stage, and it can be another E80F. In this case, could be a mic preamp as well. Very nice! SV20/SV70 are unrelated. No WSW gear in the Braunbuch…

Hello dear forum members. I hope it's ok to post this question here.

I have some problems with finding info about Siemens SV704/1 tube preamp (?).

It came from old broadcasting console, it's two blocks- one PSU one amp, preamp? Don't really know. Costumer wants to give me these instead of money for repair, and I was wondering how much could they be worth...
So far I only found SV20 and SV70 documentation in The Braunbuch.
Is there anyone with more knowledge on where to look on, or has any idea what this could be?
The console was MONO, of course.

View attachment 127649

All help appreciated!
Kind regards,
John

Also, on second thought, one of the preamp's iron is marked as Dr1, so a choke (if so, that 200R inscription by someone is puzzling). So, unless a second transformer is below the main mounting plate (unlikely), it's a special purpose preamp. More photos are needed or schematics to be drawn to make better conclusion...

Thank you for answering!
I will remove the post. I also think this is not a good place to post it...
Will have to find some long gone and forgotten tube preamp thread.
I meant moving it if you are going to work on it.
Simple measurements of signal transformers would reveal a thing or two about this device.

I meant moving it if you are going to work on it.
Simple measurements of signal transformers would reveal a thing or two about this device.
Ah! Ok, now I get it :p

Also, on second thought, one of the preamp's iron is marked as Dr1, so a choke (if so, that 200R inscription by someone is puzzling). So, unless a second transformer is below the main mounting plate (unlikely), it's a special purpose preamp. More photos are needed or schematics to be drawn to make better conclusion...
Thank you so much for the info/observation.

I think I will bite the bullet and get it.
Then take more pictures, some measurements. Reverse engineering on these things are easy-peasy compared to the other work that I do.
I do a lot with transistors and integrated circuits. Never with tubes, so I might learn something on the way.

Will post some pictures in a week or two.

Regards,
John

Latest posts

Back