Tim Campbell CT12 Vs Beez Neez CK12 samples

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t have a problem waiting for this excellent product. Just need to know if I’m on the waiting list. Was even enquiring re the OPR capsule as an alternative, but would rather have Tim’s capsule

I built a C12 with the OPR Apex 460 kit some years ago. It has a Beez Neez capsule in it. I don't think OPR were building capsules back then. It's a wonderful sounding microphone. Very 3D. Open and smooth top end. I wouldn't hesitate buying an OPR microphone. They know what they're doing.
I also built one of Oliver's C12 kits with a Tim Campbell capsule in it. The two mics sound every so slightly different but that's OK for me. Both capsules are fantastic replicas. Tim's is worth the wait if time isn't an issue.

I sent Tim an email on July 13, 2021. No reply. I think he is too busy to sell to the DIY community.

I have a Tim C ck12 that I got from a member here, that I put in a 251build that sounds great. I have a Beesneez m7 in a MK7 build and it sounds equally great. I emailed Tim a couple of times to order a pair for C12 builds and never heard back. I ordered 2 Beesneez CK12 and they sound wonderful. Big smooth and soft top end. Not unhappy at all.

These two, although both true CK12, sound very different. The manufacturers went probably for two different extremes of this capsule. They actually couldn't be more different sounding.

Last edited:
These two, although both true CK12, sound very different. The manufacturers went probably for two different extremes of this capsule. They actually couldn't be more different sounding.
What would you say are the major differences between the 2? Any experience with the OPR for comparison?

Talking about beesneez and Tim’s? If yes then you are totally right…almost opposite curves haha.

Ct12 feels scooped…big low end and very bright yet very fast, detailed and 3D. Beesneez is more forward in low mids/mids, creamier with very tamed high end. Closer to a k47 actually…
I don’t know…

A friend back in 2015 had a Beesneez CK12 in a C12 circuit with an AMI T14 and GE 6072. It was one of the most extremely brightest, open, airy, beautiful mics I’ve heard. I want it!

The Campbell CT12 in my 251 type with an AMI T14 and GE 6072 is much much much more balanced overall.

The Campbell CT12s in my Lomo 19A13 type pair are just as extremely bright, open, airy, and beautiful as I remember my friend’s C12 type with the Beesneez.

I’ve a pair of Campbell CT12 backplates, modded and skinned by Luke Audio, in a C12 type circuit, but with 5751s and large-core transformers by Samar Audio. Overall, amazingly balanced.

I’ve a pair of OPR CK12s that will eventually go into some C12a type mics.

I know any of them will customize to your liking, but I wonder if Beesneez’s stock CK12 voicing today is the same as in 2015.

I don’t know…

A friend back in 2015 had a Beesneez CK12 in a C12 circuit with an AMI T14 and GE 6072. It was one of the most extremely brightest, open, airy, beautiful mics I’ve heard. I want it!

The Campbell CT12 in my 251 type with an AMI T14 and GE 6072 is much much much more balanced overall.

The Campbell CT12s in my Lomo 19A13 type pair are just as extremely bright, open, airy, and beautiful as I remember my friend’s C12 type with the Beesneez.

I’ve a pair of Campbell CT12 backplates, modded and skinned by Luke Audio, in a C12 type circuit, but with 5751s and large-core transformers by Samar Audio. Overall, amazingly balanced.

I’ve a pair of OPR CK12s that will eventually go into some C12a type mics.

I know any of them will customize to your liking, but I wonder if Beesneez’s stock CK12 voicing today is the same as in 2015.
Yeah I hear some people are having different experiences than mine…about both capsules. I guess both tuned their capsules differently at some point. Also there might be variations in current production

And opr's is close to Beezneez's
If you're referring the samples put up by Johnsonic?. To my ears they sound significantly different but maybe it depends on system you're listening on.
Thanks for the Samples Johnsonic!

Also referring to the original samples in this thread. These were early incarnations of both Tim and Ben Ck12s Tim has said and I would agree these samples sound nothing like his more his more recent versions and this may also go for the Ben's capsule as well.
I put audio samples of acoustic guitar through beesneez & OPR capsules in pretty close microphones in the thread here: Twenty mic comparisons

Nope, i'm talking about some i had chance to measure. However, i've pointed several times these are tuneable, and whatever sample one might have, the next one can be way different. My general impression as well is that you and Ben went for flatter, warmer variant, while Tim's has more sparke and some scoop. Of course, all of this is based just on the ones i had chance to measure.

This is all interesting. For reference, I received (3) from Tim in November 2015 (where I used one as stock in the 251 type) and (2) from Tim in March 2016 (which used in the 19A13 type). VERY different sounds. Granted different circuits and different bodies; just shows how much difference it can make even with the same capsule.

Last edited:
Nope, i'm talking about some i had chance to measure. However, i've pointed several times these are tuneable, and whatever sample one might have, the next one can be way different. My general impression as well is that you and Ben went for flatter, warmer variant, while Tim's has more sparke and some scoop. Of course, all of this is based just on the ones i had chance to measure.
Have you tried any of the ADK capsules? I had their z251 mic but sold it, seemed kinda boring to me at the time.

Latest posts

Back