Toft ATB 32 ch blues

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbkong07

Hi guys! Glad to be here and thanks for letting me in. To the point: I've had this board since forever (ser #002) and I love everything about it, but I spent the last 2 years working on another system and the ATB sat idle. Now that I've fired it up again there's a distinct loss of signal in the left channel. It's there, but weak compared to the right side, like 2/3 just gone.
I'm wondering if there's a line drawing of it somewhere that I can use as a troubleshooting guide. I had it open 10 yrs ago to blow out the dust and it's full of multi pin connectors that probably just need to be cleaned and reseated now.
If this solves the issue, then yay, but if it doesn't....I have to wonder if it's a familiar issue with a simple solution I know nothing about. Bear in mind the depth of my electronic knowledge was barely enough to build a Weber 5e3 without hurting myself, so please explain it like I'm 7 yrs old and not 72. I'll have to rent a mule to even get it out of the control room and flipped over so I really hope I can solve this in just one trip to the bench. Pics with arrows pointing at the problem will get you a free T shirt. lol
As an aside, I'm planning to move from using a Radar for tracking to probably an Apollo 16 ch set up so replacing the Toft with something better/newer/smaller is an option too. Thanks again for indulging my problems!

it's technically a large format desk so the trick here is to take The big sections and make it more manageable. It also helps to be able to measure.
1. Confirm the psu is working with the correct voltages.
2. Confirm a single channel is good so we can use it for testing purposes.
3.Take a 1K sine wave @ +4dBu and feed it into a known working channel on the desk at the line inputs. The one we confirmed in step 2 will do.
4. Pan the channel center and assign it to the stereo bus. leave eq off, do not use aux sends.
5. Raise the channel fader and stereo bus fader to unity. Measure the output of the desk. If all is working properly they should be close to one another.
6. Pan from center to one side, pan from center to the other side, notice the increase in level on the side you are panning to.
7. If the output of the stereo bus is low, back it up a bit. Measure from the insert send of the stereo bus. Are the levels super close?
The trick to the stereo channel is that the insert send and return is midway down the field. It's after the summing and before the output. I don't recall off hand if the stereo bus fader is pre or post insert. I'll have to check my notes when i get home

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay getting back to this but I spent a week digging around the studio looking for my old Teac tone generator before I had a flash of brilliance and downloaded an app on my phone that would do the job. Duh. Such is my life.
After some extensive poking around (as instructed here) it's pretty clear I need to pull it out, flip it over and start cleaning and reseating connectors. Some of the sub-assigns are wonky too. I don't suppose the little lightbulbs/leds on the meters are fixable? One is out. It'd be nice to find a diagram of the interior somewhere too. I like to know what I'm sticking my fingers into. Thanks again!

Yes the vu meter lamps for the stereo bus are replaceable. However it’s a real chore to get access to those.
To get access to any channel you have to remove the bank of modules. You can see each bank when looking at the desk.
To remove a bank you have to
1. Flip the console over so you have access to the bottom plate. Careful when you flip it, the original versions did not mechanically brace pots and were easy to break pots.
2. Remove screws to undo the bottom plate. You will do all the perimeter ones. You will then do one side on where the desk frame joins to make the 29-32 section. The 1-24 section is a complete piece. The reason you only do 1 side is because underneath is a bar that helps attach both sides. The bar can stay attached to the bottom plate.
3. Remove the rear panel for that section. The xlr panels for that bucket
4. Once the bottom plate is removed and the rear plate removed, you may disconnect the ribbon running across the desk. This ribbon does power distribution and audio for busses, auxes, etc.
5 lastly flip the desk over and remove the top screws for that group you wish to remove. From there they slide up and out, assuming you did it correctly.

Once the section is out. You remove all the mobs for a channel you wish to service. Next you remove all the nuts for the pots holding that channel.
Then the channel should be able to come out.
Once finished reverse steps to put it all back together.

Major rule here, never force it. I have seen guys try to force and boom snap a pot or whatever.

Last edited:
Yes the vu meter lamps for the stereo bus are replaceable. However it’s a real chore to get access to those.
To get access to any channel you have to remove the bank of modules. You can see each bank when looking at the desk.
To remove a bank you have to
1. Flip the console over so you have access to the bottom plate. Careful when you flip it, the original versions did not mechanically brace pots and were easy to break pots.
2. Remove screws to undo the bottom plate. You will do all the perimeter ones. You will then do one side on where the desk frame joins to make the 29-32 section. The 1-24 section is a complete piece. The reason you only do 1 side is because underneath is a bar that helps attach both sides. The bar can stay attached to the bottom plate.
3. Remove the rear panel for that section. The xlr panels for that bucket
4. Once the bottom plate is removed and the rear plate removed, you may disconnect the ribbon running across the desk. This ribbon does power distribution and audio for busses, auxes, etc.
5 lastly flip the desk over and remove the top screws for that group you wish to remove. From there they slide up and out, assuming you did it correctly.

Once the section is out. You remove all the mobs for a channel you wish to service. Next you remove all the nuts for the pots holding that channel.
Then the channel should be able to come out.
Once finished reverse steps to put it all back together.

Major rule here, never force it. I have seen guys try to force and boom snap a pot or whatever.
Thank you! I've had it out and opened once before but this is a great guide!
Further investigation leads me to think one issue is where the auxes gather at the master section since surely all 32 channels wouldn't have the same problem and none seem to be working at the moment. That takes me right back to a major cleaning and reseating of everything.
I have a background in motor controls and learned long ago not to force anything unless I have a replacement part in hand, so no worry there. I have a padded bench that's the perfect size to flip it right off the desk too.
A clue about where to find the correct bulb would be fantastic. I'm actually looking forward to utilizing my clock making skills to dig it out. lol
"The 1-24 section is a complete piece" Maybe I don't understand but the channels are grouped in 8's on this one. I'm hoping I don't have to remove any of them to solve this. My instincts tell me it's a master group issue.
It'll be a week or so before I get this happening, I spend a lot of time plugging holes in my battleship.

Once again, thank you so much!

Thank you! I've had it out and opened once before but this is a great guide!
Further investigation leads me to think one issue is where the auxes gather at the master section since surely all 32 channels wouldn't have the same problem and none seem to be working at the moment. That takes me right back to a major cleaning and reseating of everything.
I have a background in motor controls and learned long ago not to force anything unless I have a replacement part in hand, so no worry there. I have a padded bench that's the perfect size to flip it right off the desk too.
A clue about where to find the correct bulb would be fantastic. I'm actually looking forward to utilizing my clock making skills to dig it out. lol
"The 1-24 section is a complete piece" Maybe I don't understand but the channels are grouped in 8's on this one. I'm hoping I don't have to remove any of them to solve this. My instincts tell me it's a master group issue.
It'll be a week or so before I get this happening, I spend a lot of time plugging holes in my battleship.

Once again, thank you so much!
on the desk, the channels should mount to the frame via the pots. The channels group in banks of 8. so when you undo the rear panel for channels 1-8 for example, that would be one bucket. while each channel can come out you have to remove the bucket first.
If the one auxes isn't working across all channels then it would be where it sums in the master section.
below shows where each bank splits. while it looks tight follow the instructions and you can see how it pops up and out.

Attachments

• atb32.jpg
    atb32.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm back! Like I mentioned, I'm slow. It's sitting out where the Christmas tree should be, by the fireplace.
Belly up and cobwebs blown out. Things I noticed:
In blind error I unscrewed all the braces that hold the cards in place. It made the panels easier to clean and also informed me that the back has to go on in a particular order I needed to know.
There's a 3' 10 pin ribbon coming out of the master section that doesn't have a place to land and I'm guessing it was for the digital i/o that never happened. Is that right?
Maybe I'm blind, but it appears that ch 1-8 and 25-32 are 8 channel buckets added on either side of a 16 ch board/bucket.
Each channel has a 2 conductor ribbon connection to the master section on the back side of the chassis. What are those? Were they intended to be for the meter bridge that didn't exist when I bought the board?
The big ribbon appears to be located right below the channel assign section. (one of my issues) Should I remove it and de-ox all the connections? Or is my problem in the master section?
Thanks to this site, I've learned that finding the schematic is nearly impossible, so even if I take it apart I still don't really know exactly what I'm looking at. I am loath to take it apart any further as you might guess. I'm really not a bench jockey, I know just enough to break something with a misstep.

I'll be cleaning all the i/o's on the back as a matter of course. This board has lived its entire life coupled to a RADAR, and all those cables will be cleaned as well. Should I just buy a case of Deoxit and give it a bath?
2022-12-16_12-52-49.jpg

Another thing I noticed is that there seems to be a lot of micro-switchs on each channel. What am I looking at?
My last question for today: can I effectively clean the faders without pulling each channel out? Or are they sealed? As slow as I am I don't want to waste time pissin' up a rope.
And thanks again, Pucho. I owe ya. Name it and I'll have a Chrismas present for ya.

I'm back! Like I mentioned, I'm slow. It's sitting out where the Christmas tree should be, by the fireplace.

There's a 3' 10 pin ribbon coming out of the master section that doesn't have a place to land and I'm guessing it was for the digital i/o that never happened. Is that right?

If you're referring to the ribbon I believe you are then that is correct yes. You may also have some random harnesses on each bucket that are intended for the meter bridge (if you don't have the meter bridge they would be tucked loose inside the chassis)
Maybe I'm blind, but it appears that ch 1-8 and 25-32 are 8 channel buckets added on either side of a 16 ch board/bucket.
Each channel has a 2 conductor ribbon connection to the master section on the back side of the chassis. What are those? Were they intended to be for the meter bridge that didn't exist when I bought the board?
Yes. They only appear to be going to the master section, but if you were to cut all those ties you'd see they're just a single split up ribbon cable that feeds each section of the meter bridge.

The big ribbon appears to be located right below the channel assign section. (one of my issues) Should I remove it and de-ox all the connections? Or is my problem in the master section?
It is unlikely you're going to need to de-oxit every pin on the ribbon unless the desk was stored somewhere particularly damp for a legthy amount of time. Both the plugs and sockets have gold plated contacts. A minimal amount of oxidation may be present but pulling and reseating should be enough to wipe that clear. It's also unlikely that a single dodgy channel contact would manifest as a whole master output side being low. My guess is that you're looking at something in the master section. The pots are notoriously dodgy on these, and the board is full of really cheap no-name electrolytic caps in the signal path. Additionally all the op amps are socketed, and they're milled socket contact- which is great- but, that doesn't mean the IC pins haven't built up corrosion in the sockets. you may find success in pulling and reseating the ICs on the master card (it can't hurt) and potentially re-capping the master card.

If the desk has been around a while, it also may not hurt to pull the main fader apart and give it a clean with isopro. The fingers on the wipers do oxidize and a drop of deoxit (for god's sake don't spray it) on the wiper fingers under the carriage goes a long way also. See expanded description below.

Thanks to this site, I've learned that finding the schematic is nearly impossible, so even if I take it apart I still don't really know exactly what I'm looking at. I am loath to take it apart any further as you might guess. I'm really not a bench jockey, I know just enough to break something with a misstep.
I may be able to assist. Please send me a PM.

I'll be cleaning all the i/o's on the back as a matter of course. This board has lived its entire life coupled to a RADAR, and all those cables will be cleaned as well. Should I just buy a case of Deoxit and give it a bath?

Another thing I noticed is that there seems to be a lot of micro-switchs on each channel. What am I looking at?
As far as Deoxit goes- your absolute best method, both for cost/waste, and for ease of use and not getting crap everywhere:

Get some Deoxit D100 liquid in the glass vial. I usually buy the 60ml jar. I get a needle-dispenser bottle and dilute the D100L to 20% with 99.9% isopro. You waste WAY less product, and the isopropyl is safer across more surfaces and substrates than the naptha based solvent in the spray.
IMG_4711.jpeg
My last question for today: can I effectively clean the faders without pulling each channel out? Or are they sealed? As slow as I am I don't want to waste time pissin' up a rope.
Yes. You can pull the faders independently of the channel cards. Two screws connect the fader to the panel, and then a header clip connector comes out and the fader assembly pulls out. At either end of the fader shell you'll see that the end tabs clip onto the edges. A small screwdriver and a gentle twisting motion will shuck them like an oyster.

IMG_4704.jpeg
IMG_4705.jpeg
IMG_4707.jpeg
IMG_4708.jpeg
Hit the whole thing generously with 99.9% isopro, to flush it. You will probably see some greenish gunky grease that has dried up and trapped all kinds of gross crap. Gently use a toothbrush and some of the iso alcohol to work that gunk out and wipe down the fader rails. With a clean qtip or bit of paper towel wipe the carbon track with a generous amount of iso. A flush after doesn't hurt. A drop (a DROP) of deoxit on the fingers as previously mentioned- you will probably see they have a 'rainbow' like appearance if you look under the carriage. Important: there are two sets of fingers- one well hidden under the carriage. The hidden set is the active wiper on the mono faders, so don't miss it!
IMG_4709.jpeg
IMG_4712.jpeg
You can also see there are some metallic traces at each end of the fader that the wipers 'land' on at both ends of the travel- these are also likely oxidized. You can see a before and after- you will probably need to give these a light scrub with a qtip and some iso.

IMG_4716.jpeg
IMG_4718.jpeg

Last step, get some light silicone shock oil from your local RC hobby shop (I use 50wt. for an almost frictionless feel, or 2000wt. for something with a little 'push' to it) You want to be VERY sparing with this and careful not to get any on anything else- it's an absolute bastard to clean the residue of heavier silicone oil! A couple pin-head sized drops on either side of the carriage on the top rail. The bottom rail can be left un-lubricated, or you can put just the smallest amount of silicone on it. If you can't find silicone shock oil locally or on amazon, DON'T use regular household oil. It'll gum up over time. Sewing machine oil is an ok substitute.

IMG_4710.jpeg

As you may be able to tell I've done a couple of these before.... Got one 32 ch beast here right now!
IMG_4684.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4709.jpeg
    IMG_4709.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
If you're referring to the ribbon I believe you are then that is correct yes. You may also have some random harnesses on each bucket that are intended for the meter bridge (if you don't have the meter bridge they would be tucked loose inside the chassis)

Yes. They only appear to be going to the master section, but if you were to cut all those ties you'd see they're just a single split up ribbon cable that feeds each section of the meter bridge.
Sorry, also should note that on channels 1-8 there is a set of cables going to the master section- those are the 'mirrored' group returns. The ATB manual will describe them better but basically the 8 aux returns get mirrored to the line inputs of the 1-8 channels.

This is a tangent to this thread, but I have a Trident Dream 16 ch. console from John Oram.

(I know him and Toft had a beef or something so a lot of people have feelings about that - I didn't know.)

Just curious if anyone here has heard that console (I love mine) in comparison to the Toft?

This is a tangent to this thread, but I have a Trident Dream 16 ch. console from John Oram.

(I know him and Toft had a beef or something so a lot of people have feelings about that - I didn't know.)

Just curious if anyone here has heard that console (I love mine) in comparison to the Toft?
Here is the abridged version of the beef.
Both lay claim to the same circuits, saying they designed them. Malcom was trident staff, John a subcontractor.
Trident folded and the ip was purchased sometime late 1980’s early 1990’s.
The new ip owners did not enforce the ip and John just started making gear with trident on it. He just did it and no one stopped him. This went on for a long time, several years, until pmi audio picked up the trident ip and enforced it. Since pmi’s ownership, John was legally forced to stop any and all gear with trident logo on it, Malcom is gone and pmi audio owns, operates, designs and manufactures trident.

Sorry, also should note that on channels 1-8 there is a set of cables going to the master section- those are the 'mirrored' group returns. The ATB manual will describe them better but basically the 8 aux returns get mirrored to the line inputs of the 1-8 channels.
Correction, the 8 monitor returns, not aux returns.

Aaand he's back. Hope you all had great holidays!
I'm armed with the correct cleaning stuff now and ready to dive in.
I should be embarrassed by the low mileage on this beast but it's been sitting in the same place for years.
I've never experienced any fader noise issues so I'm tempted to skip over the channels.
It appears that my issues are all in the master section so I'll be pulling that out for some deep cleaning and inspection. And new light bulbs, can't forget that.
I'm giving myself the whole month to get this right and there's a fret job waiting in the wings. Someday I'll be able to get back to actually making music again instead of working on the tools.
Once again, thanks for bombing me with all this good info and advice, it's priceless to an old plank spanker.
If there's any useful mods I can make before I put it all back together, I'm all ears!

Back