Tom Dowd

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

So about 8 or 9 years ago, I was in the later stages of installing a large-ish SSL 9000 series, doing some kind of sit-down work at the console -perhaps debugging the machine control or something similar- when an old, grey-haired, bearded geezer wandered into the control room, shaking his head and looking at the console. -He semi-quietly said something like:

"Boy oh boy, they make these things look more and more like 'mission control' don't they?"

-I had no idea who he was, so I smiled and agreed politely. He then wandered around, shaking his head and muttering "well I never" sort of things... after a minute or two he came and sat next to me and said something like:

"Sorta makes me wonder about how we ever built the atomic bomb with such primitive stuff as we had back then..." and drifted off into a series of tangential subjects.

Now in this particular studio, I knew that they had an 'open door' policy, and people with no knowlege of -or connection to- music recording frequently wandered in. This particular guy almost had the air of a likeable wino!

Anayhow, I 'humored' him for a few more minutes until he started to mention things that suggested he really knew a lot of stuff. First he mentioned Jeep Harned, and started to talk about the design of the MCI equalizers... then the subject moved to Criteria studios, then he started chatting about Arif Mardin and so forth.

I had no clue as to who he was, and he had no care who I was. we just chatted about music, technology and recording. He wandered off maybe 15 minutes later, after shaking hands.

Later on, I asked the chief engineer who the old bearded guy was. he smiled knowingly:

"Oh... so you met Tom Dowd, eh? -He's something, isn't he?"

The name rang a bell. Then later on, I remembered hearing him on BBC radio a few years earlier, talking about how he and Ablie Ghaluten (..I think..) made the ending to 'Layla' days or weeks after the musicians had all gone. Then I looked a little further and found out more of what he'd done.

Over the next few years I met him several more times. I think that the last time was at one of Disney's local rooms, with Phil Ramone.

Some time ago -and for no reason I could think of- I wondered what he was up to. I typed his name into a search engine and read that he had died two days previously. I was quite profoundly upset.

If you don't know about Tom Dowd and would like to know more, or if you knew and loved Tom, or -like me- you didn't really know him, but enjoyed and/or respected his work, I'd like to draw your attention to this:

http://palmpictures.bluetape.com/tomdowd/ecard/

I understand that the movie will be out on August 24th, in Region 1 coding on DVD. You may order it from Amazon. I understand that Tom himself saw an almost-completed version of the film before he died and it carries his blessing.

I certainly found him to be like a friendly old uncle, one who had an amazing past (He worked on the Manhatten project for goodness' sake!) and a truly practical outlook on the interface between technology and music.

Gawd bless ya, Tom!

Keith

the movie is pretty amazing, just the quantity and quality of sit down interviews they were able to shoot with him are worth it alone. My favotire part was when he's sitting there talking about how he didnt like rotary faders "so thats when I invented the linear fader". huh?

amazing.

dave

Keith,

Ohh yes...I for one will buy the DVD..Mr Tom D imho was one of the many true Greats in audio. Never met the man in person, but I have enjoyed and respected his work for years.

I´m sure he will be missed. RIP Mr. Dowd

Kind regards

Peter

Keith, thanks for bringing this to our attention! I saved the link and will be anxiously awaiting August 24th.

jim

The film was at Sundance, One of the best Docs that I have seen there. I didn't know much about him before seeing the show. His daughter was there for the Q&A. Really amazing people!

I remember a scene from the film where he brings up a song, I think it was one of Eric Clapton's, and he started to mix. He showed you l little about his process. Then he just closed his eyes and smiled as he just listened.

I guess you just have to see it. Hard to describe it in text. Funny story how he got into recording, after working on the A-bomb he wanted to go back to school, but he couldn't use any of his knowledge he had learned because it was confidential. He would have been learning 20 year old physics. So he went in to Audio. What a great guy.

Vetsen

When I was a kid I remember listening to Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love" and thinking how brilliant Ginger Baker's drumming was with the emphasis on one rather than the normal 2/4 rock beat.

In the film, Tom Dowd explains that when Cream came into his studio to record they had this song that wasn't quite working for them. He suggested they do this American Indian(!) kind of beat, demonstrating a rhythm with the downbeat on one, and the rest was history...

Back