• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Transformers for piezo discs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transformers?

Piezo discs need a very high impedance. Say 10 Mohms or more. I don't think a transformer would be an ideal solution. A FET input opamp seems much more appropriate.

Or is there something I'm missing?

I use an old Philips measurement amp. It has a 20 Mohms input impedance and that seems to work fine.

Hey Cyrano,

Hmmm... I thought some high-impedance transformer would work... I do have some contact mics and Radial box with Jensen 12:1 tx and the signal is very usable with it...

Any designs care to share for piezo discs? What's that Phillips amp?

Cheers

That Philips thing is an instrumentation amp. A PM5170. Runs on a 22V battery that is obsolete. But it came with a few of these batteries and they seem to last a looooooong time. It was part of a university lab that was emptied. I fished it out of the bin...

It's DC to 1 MHz, 600 Ohm or 20 Mohm.

The micbuilders group is currently experimenting with contact mics and hydrophones. Take a look:

https://groups.io/g/MicBuilders

It is based on a preamp that can be found for DIY on the net
Got link or name for google search? found the schematic

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10-10-32 New Output - CORTADO MKII Schematic.pdf.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10-07-32 No Title - CORTADO SCHEMATIC V2.2.pdf.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 10-07-32 No Title - CORTADO SCHEMATIC V2.2.pdf.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back