TRW and UTC

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gevermil

Dose anyone know the relationship ?
Is TRW the shield maker or the distributor ?
This auction makes me curious

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-TRW-UTC-Giant-A-20-Type-Audio-Input-Transformers_W0QQitemZ160288615944QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160288615944&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

AFAIK UTC was bought by TRW in the seventies or even earlier. I have A10 from TRW which looks identical as UTC version.

Know I've seen TRW branded UTC's from '74, maybe even '72. Later became OPT. Seen very very few of those.

UTC was founded in New York, Samuel Baraf, 1932.
It was sold to TRW in 1966.
Then, the death of the vacuum tube, which means..
the death of UTC.

Later, it was sold to OTP Industries, a subsidiary of Torotel, which may have been sold in the late 1990s.

SAMUEL BARAF

Samuel Baraf, former president and chairman of the board of United Transformer Corporation,
died yesterday at his summer home in Manhasset,
L.I. He was 80 years old and lived in Palm Beach, Fla.
Mr. Baraf, who founded United Transformer in 1932,
sold the company to TRW Inc.,
in 1966, but remained general manager until his retirement in 1968.

He was a past president of the board of trustees of the Brandeis School in Lawrence,
L.I., and a member of the board of trustees of the North American Lily Society.

Mr. Baraf is survived by his wife,
the former Beatrice Newman;
a daughter, Libby Lovett of Easton, Conn.;
five sons, Dr. Charles of Westbury, L.I.; Joseph of Hauppague, L.I.;
Donald of Manhattan; Robert of Great Neck, L.I., Dr. Herbert of Potomac,
Md., and eight grandchildren.

Good stuff CJ. The 1932 date raises a question I'll have to research, as I think there are many early ads from that era referring to an earlier date. I'm wondering if that's a typo and it's not really 1922. Still need to scan my 1934 catalog.....

Now that I have spelled distributor correctly , seems there are allot of military equivalents to our beloved transformers . any trick to find them out ?
:cool:

research research research. buy lots of paper. study. buy lots of stuff. study. that's all I know of. 'Equivalent' can mean a lot of things, none of which may relate to sound. I've spent thousands on paper documentation over the years; it only gives a bit of a glimpse at best. And the pile is probably in danger of collapsing a floor in my house. That, combined with the thousands I've spent on old gear, along with lots of hands-on testing gives the (at best) glimpse I have. There is no place you'll get this info other than self-study. I could write a nice book, if I could figure out how to get paid to do it; sort of like a consulting fee. 99% of the paper knowledge has never been scanned; if a trust provided the funds to pay 10 kids to scan my piles it would be a full time job for several months at least. And there would be unending intellectual property issues. Almost as soon as one reveals a mil # to be identical to a stock #, the prices begin to correlate. So the people who may know probably aren't telling.

the trick is to find the cross refs to only the really cool models.
same with peerless and triad.

i saw a cool lookin re issue of the Triad A 67 J or whatever that famous or common model is, however you want to look at it.

They said that the HS 29 is also being wound.

Latest posts

Back