U47-style bodies - who can make one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From FLEA,

U47 grill - 435 Euro
Body tube - 215 Euro
Capsule holder - 65 Euro

if we break it out by piece.

I didn't ask about group quantities.

what's the difference (apart from 300 euro) between the mechanical kit and the sum of those three parts? Is something else missing?

The full kit will allow you to add a VF14, transformer and capsule and maybe a few other do-dads and you'll have a mic.  check out the website.

Just got a call from someone ;)

Here's an opportunity.  These bodies are the same ones as used by the Pearlman TM-1 microphone.  They're U47 clones but 1mm less in diameter, acoustically they tested the same as the U47 body.  Black coated brass.

No group discount, wholesale price is $266 and that includes the body, internals, 7 pin connector and for $20 extra, the capsule mounting.

Obviously the person who is making the offer doesn't want to be inundated with a ton of emails / calls... so please lets talk about it here, and see what people want and then go thru one person to order.... which may be me, but my schedule / stress level is pretty intense until Feb or so.  But... Large scale availability won't be until january.

I can't tell if the capsule mounting height is the same as the real U47??

the TM-1 looks to me like a standard chinese mic. check out this mic, it looks almost the same.
I have that mic and spend 220 €.
Maybe a group buy for the grill at flea will do the trick

nicholas

TC1_mic.jpg

going in circles with the Pearlman idea?

This from Max's 1st post

http://www.thomann.de/at/the_tbone_sct700_roehrenmikrofon.htm

58.5 x180

get out the calipers and do some measuring

http://www.nady.com/pdf_files/manuals_pdf/microphones/TCM1050UserG.pdf

60 x 180

whats the pearlman D x L?  Went to the site.  No specs I can find for noise, capsule curves, sensitivity, etc.  Whats up with that?

Gus is it possible since you chimed in, that if you have any you could give some information on the headbasket of the u47?

.... if you know what direction I'm headed?

Maybe there is something similar already available that would do the trick?
(Speaking for this type of sound)

bradb posted

'Here's an opportunity.  These bodies are the same ones as used by the Pearlman TM-1 microphone.  They're U47 clones but 1mm less in diameter, acoustically they tested the same as the U47 body.  Black coated brass."

How would one know if it tested the same acoustically,  I did not see any curves, sensitivity , noise spec etc at Pearlman site when I looked.  Test gear used?

Good question....

I didn't ask about the test performed, but to be clear, I believe the guy was talking about the body shape testing acoustically identical... not the pearlman circuitry.

I meant the acoustic test, do they have curves with the same electronics and capsule used or was it just by ear?

A year or so ago, I wanted to work out a group buy for a mic body that I had designed.

It never worked out, as I could not find a US shop who would do it for a reasonable price.

I found several places in China, but I just did not want to go that route.

To those who were interested, I sincerely apologize for not being able to pull through for you.

ENOUGH THREAD HIJACKING!

ANYWAY, I had started designing a knockoff u47 body based upon several months-worth of research

and mostly "educated guess-timation" as far as measurements.

I have not worked on this in some time, but here's how far I got:

47body01.png

47body_no_tube.png

47body02.png

47_explode.jpg

I have lots of SolidWorks experience and would love to volunteer my design services on

this project if needed.

If someone can get me photos of the parts we would need and the measurements,

I could easily put together shop prints/design specs/blueprints for fabricating

u47 body replicas. Of course, I also wouldn't mind taking a set of calipers to the real deal

as an option as well!

That's it--just wanted to offer up my skills!

~Skylar

Skylar, just a quick glance, but I think your top ring is too thick.  Look at a U47.  It also needs to have its edges rounded significantly.  Keep at it.

Gents, I vote for a FLEA group buy.  Surely we can manage 10 pieces of the basket and perhaps body as well!  The dollar has strengthened A LOT, so those of us in the Americas can afford it now. 

With 10 pieces we might be able to get the head grill assembly for 390 or 400.

The Perlman and other options are OK, but don't really get the juices flowing, as they look like Chinese mics.  And they cost almost as much as buying a Nady or MXL etc to use for the body.

I would go with a Perlman group buy if it gets cheaper and takes off.  But my mouth waters for a FLEA.  It looks like the real thing -- as close as we'll get.

Skylar,

Great work!  I think with dimensions called out on these drawings we could get someone to manufacture this.  And why would they NOT want an exact U47 body in their product offerings?!

Are you still opposed to a chinese manufacturer?

Were you seeing US prices that were cheaper than FLEA's prices?

What about 2 supports inside the mic instead of 3?  Most people will be stuffing PCBs inside and 2 supports will make it easier for mounting.

Chance,

If these drawings were dimensioned would your team in China be able to manufacture this?

Tommypiper,

Get a Flea group buy together!  It's out of my price range.  The grill was quoted at 435 Euro = $581... even with a group buy discount, its more than I can swing (x2).  Maybe you can give us dimensions!  ;)

tommypiper said:
With 10 pieces we might be able to get the head grill assembly for 390 or 400.

But is it really worth that much? It will not make the microphone magical, put the same money in a good capsule instead since you're not building a museum quality replica... Getting the exact dimensions of the U47 is no problem, I've measured them once already. Also have a bunch of original head grilles from my M7 test if it's helpful in any way.

Martin

Back