Ultrasonic Spring Reverb

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leigh

So, last week I was perusing Richard H. Dorf's classic organ repair tome, "Electronic Musical Instruments" (see image), and came across a section about an effect I'd never heard of before: the Baldwin Panoramic spring reverb.

In an attempt to overcome the bandwidth limitations and general "sproingy-ness" of spring reverbs, Baldwin devised a spring reverb that AM-modulated a 20k carrier tone with the input signal, ran it through a reverb tank, and then demodulated it on the other end. The reverb tank reportedly had piezo ceramic driver and pickup elements.

Dorf's book contains the schematic for the original Baldwin design, which is a tube-based circuit. However, I found some basic modulation/demodulation circuits built with opamp chips, and I'm curious to give this a try.

Before putting time into this idea, wondering two things:

1. Anybody actually heard one of these?

2. Would I have to build my own reverb tank out of a pair of piezo disks and a spring, or could I get a regular Accutronics tank to do anything useful with a 20kHz signal?

cheers,
Leigh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 29
Sound example from 1961. I'm not sure what year the ultrasonic thingamajig was introduced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZo7senwnXQ

Latest posts

Back