Upgrade sound card before DIYing?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record, here is Telmar's wonderful analysis of the output stage of the Delta 1010, for those too lazy to search it out.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=32575.0
He also did threads on the input stage, and the PSU.
Not only did I replace the electrolytic caps in the output stage, but two mylar caps in the signal path as well (with better metal film), and I started with just two channels to compare. The difference was quite noticeable and for the good. Perhaps it was because the unit had seen a lot of use, and the old caps were kaput. I don't know.
I also tried lowering the resistance of the output resistor (as one reader suggested), but didn't hear any difference there.
I do know that I like it very much now, and would gladly buy a 2nd one to mod and expand my studio to 16 ins and outs.
If I could afford better converters, I would buy them, but this works very well for me.
Thanks again Telmar!

tchgtr said:
The difference was quite noticeable and for the good. Perhaps it was because the unit had seen a lot of use, and the old caps were kaput. I don't know

I really think this is an important point, as my earlier post suggested. The caps in the 1010 are 85 degree types which are rated to last for about 2000-3000 hours at 85 degrees (I hear that roughly doubles for every 10 degrees lower the temp is). The 1010 breakout box is poorly ventilated and the regulators are thermally coupled to a black metal bar that helpfully extends over the caps, radiating heat onto them like a sun lamp. And when racked with no space above and below like mine was for many years, I think those caps had plenty of time to dry out and start to affect the sound.

This could explain why some people have swapped caps in gear and not been impressed while others swap and hear big differences.

That and the placebo effect of course ;)

A good point, as I also had to replace PSU caps in mine after a failure, probably from heat/age. The 1010s do get a bit warm, and like MikeClev, I leave a rack space above mine since it's on most of the day.

The power caps in mine also failed and the unit wouldn't power up. The caps were 85 degree rated and some of them are almost touching those scorching hot 15v regulators. I replaced them (my first real foray into DIY electronics) and thats what made me think about replacing the audio path capacitors. I ran the 1010 with the cover off for a while and that psu area really does get toasty!

Back