Using DB25 switchboxes for d-sub cables audio routing - any issues?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

Hi All,

I am considering using a DB25 switchbox so that I can switch between two interfaces that use d-sub 8 channel looms. My concerns is what sort of issues should I expect and is it solvable.

I read online that I should use specific audio DB25 to DB25 cables(from interface to switchbox) as the specific audio DB25 cables keep each shield with each channel hot/cold unlike computer cables that may keep the shields ungrouped.

What sort of issues are there though when it comes to the switch box - noise, hum, crosstalk, etc?

If any issues, can these be resolved?

Is there a cheap alternative to making this routing concept work? I was considering possibly doing it manually with DB25 short extension cables from the interfaces and manually swap the d-sub loom it is connected to but then, would there be an issue from the connection point? Also, I prefer switches as having to reach back at the cable may start to become tiresome.

Thank you.

There is a much higher chance of crosstalk, hum etc using a computer switchbox but it may not be enough to be objectionable and will depend a bit on the box used. Best way is to try it and see. Run some high level signals through every second channel while recording the others, see what sneaks through, report back.

I used Centronics switches for a while. The metal ones are certainly useable, but as Noon mentioned, crosstalk will occur, especially on line level signals. I've never found thse switches with shielded wire on the inside. The ones with plastic cases pick up hum, even when positioned carefully.

My current solution is using ADAT optical as medium and manual or auto switches in between. It's cheap and if latency doesn't matter, it works very well, without added noise. That works for me, because I have a number of ADAT ADDA boxes laying around anyway. If you need to buy those, it's not cheap anymore.

Yeah, those boxes can be full of problems for audio.
what we normally do at studios is have the bus outs on the desk come to an Elco or other multipin connector. From there we have the inputs to our devices(tape machine, pro tools) on the same connector and then just connect as needed. We do the same for the devices out into the monitors or line ins. That’s about the best way to do it followed by having it all accessible on a patchbay.

@pucho812, that is what I was considering doing with DB25 connectors.
Interface 1 > db25 extension > [manually connect] < db25 loom > patchbay
Interface 2 > db25 extension > [manually connect] < db25 loom > patchbay

Depending on which interface I use, I will connect the ONE db25 loom to it.

So, are you saying that in the manual connection points, you found no issues at all using Elco for your bridge connection points? Do you think DB25 would produce the-same result as the Elco regarding no issues?

@pucho812, that is what I was considering doing with DB25 connectors.
Interface 1 > db25 extension > [manually connect] < db25 loom > patchbay
Interface 2 > db25 extension > [manually connect] < db25 loom > patchbay

Depending on which interface I use, I will connect the ONE db25 loom to it.

So, are you saying that in the manual connection points, you found no issues at all using Elco for your bridge connection points? Do you think DB25 would produce the-same result as the Elco regarding no issues?
Yes, that should be fine

Latest posts

Back