What would you do?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So that's only a matter of scale? because 0dbu=-18dbfs=0.775v. So VU meters is useless if signal close to 0dbfs. When we doing mixing with DAW through an analog console/summing mixer, we must keep signal not to close to -18 dbfs? I thought i should keep signal as hot as possible (bit resolution thing?), that would be make VU meters stuck at the right. And what should i do to the extra space between -18dbfs to 0dbfs?

simonsez said:
So that's only a matter of scale? because 0dbu=-18dbfs=0.775v. So VU meters is useless if signal close to 0dbfs. When we doing mixing with DAW through an analog console/summing mixer, we must keep signal not to close to -18 dbfs? I thought i should keep signal as hot as possible (bit resolution thing?), that would be make VU meters stuck at the right. And what should i do to the extra space between -18dbfs to 0dbfs?

0dBu does = .775V. However out of the box pro tools interfaces are calibrated so that -18dBFS = 1.228V, +4dBu, 0Vu.

As for bit resolution and hottest signal possible that may have been the case when we were using 16 bit converters but, with 24 bit converters it's not such an issue any more. IF you ask me it's not about level  but more about a good/great mix. If you do it right, you will leave room for the mastering engineer to work it and really make the volume loud.

pucho812 said:
0dBu does = .775V. However out of the box pro tools interfaces are calibrated so that -18dBFS = 1.228V, +4dBu, 0Vu.

Nice pucho!

Where i can see dBu meter? and why protools calibrated in that way? it's just protools or any other DAW did that?
Sorry to many question.. :-[ :-[

Pro tools is calibrated that way because they feel it's a good level to be at. To be honest I don'[t know what digi/avid sets it up that way. In digital when you calibrate your machines there is only level calibration. I have been with engineers who like -14dBFS = 0Vu, -16dBFS = 0vu and so forth. Some companies like tascam started using -16dBFS = 0VU. Yamaha was using -12dBFS = 0VU. In film -20dBFS = 0VU. 

I have never seen a dBu meter. The definition of dBu is a voltage reference point equal to 0.775 Vrms (derived from the old power standard of 0 dBm, which equals 1 mW into 600 Ω). Note that by definition it is an rms1 level(average) , not a peak level.

Back