Windows 7 to 10 Upgrade

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

A lot of the new versions of DAW software don't run on Win7, so it might be time to finally be forced into an upgrade.

It would be MUCH simpler on my system to not do a clean OS install and then all the programs on top of that.

For those who have done it, how much grief will it cause me to just upgrade the OS from Win7 to 10? Any chance it will just work?

Coming from a computer repair/service background, I do a clean OS install on my Windows and Mac machines every 1.5 to 2 years no matter what. It's a huge pain reinstalling programs/plugins/docs, but it is what it is.

Doing a clean install of Win10 will result in a much happier machine :)

I believe noone can really predict that it can't work for sure, but I'd never try it. In my experience it's likely to loose way more time trying than reinstalling everything. And I'm aware that it takes a huge amount of time to reinstall - in my case I'd expect two to three weeks...

First check if your computer components are eligible for Win 10 or 11.
There are no more free upgrades to Win 10 from Win 7.
You can also get a legal 15 dollar license from internet like CDKey etc.
I upgraded two of my computers from 7 to 10 with no issues.
After upgrade, there is an option to remove the old win 7 version from computer, which I did.
It is not possible to go back to 7 once this is done.
Regards.

When Windows 10 came out, I installed Windows 10.
Until then I used Windows 7 for multitrack recording (max. 32 tracks simultaneously) without any problems.
After I installed Windows 10, it was no longer possible to record just a few tracks without skipping, popping and ticking...
Windows 10 only lasted one day here! The next day I deleted all the nonsense and went back to Windows 7.
And to this day, Windows 7 still works fine on my multitrack computer... :)

I'm still on Win7 with no intention of going to a newer Windows.

But I am hunting for a linux distro that works without scrambling the 2 displays on my Radeon video card. (Hint: Mint isn't one of them).

If I find one it'll be time to ditch Micro$oft for good.

Right now I'm looking into Pop OS. If that doesn't work out I'll check out Tiny 10, though I'm really trying to escape the Win/MS paradigm altogether.

On the other hand, a lot of the new versions of DAW software will run on Linux, Presonus Studio One 6.5 on of them (in beta, see https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/19214558269581-Linux-Getting-Started). Reaper DAW will run on Linux fine, Traction Waveform, too.
That is really a good news about presonus.

Fairlight also runs on linux as well as harrison mixbus.

I did some multi-track live recording on Ardour on ubuntu and it worked flawlessly. Though i didn't try to do any work after that.

My biggest concern about running a DAW on linux is the lack of low latency driver. But if major DAWare willing to switch, maybe some manufacturer will follow.

After all linux is a much more stable platform to develop a complex software. And the real-time (low latency, high audio priority) kernel might be interesting.

Wait and see.

Thomas

But I am hunting for a linux distro that works without scrambling the 2 displays on my Radeon video card. (Hint: Mint isn't one of them).

i have a few pc's on a private network 2 win 10, 2 win xp and one dual boot ( my games pc on milenium and xp ) i cant stand win 10 but i find it essential for comunicaion in the western world. funny how most old tech pc's and old mobiles still work in africa china and india

I've been on various iterations of AV Linux for years, with the latest MX-Linux version being quite good. Radeon drivers - not sure. I migrated to Nvidia just because they're supportive of the Linux thing. I have been running a really nice passive (silent!) 4-monitor capable card that was surprisingly inexpensive and works flawlessly. You can try the MX Edition AV Linux on your Radeons without committing to installation by running a session right from the installation media. I left Microsoft behind (aside from rare, specific uses) when Win7 came out. I keep up with Windows, mostly at work, but I love Linux. No regrets.

Sorry if I missed it - what DAW are you using?

I've been on various iterations of AV Linux for years, with the latest MX-Linux version being quite good. Radeon drivers - not sure. I migrated to Nvidia just because they're supportive of the Linux thing. I have been running a really nice passive (silent!) 4-monitor capable card that was surprisingly inexpensive and works flawlessly. You can try the MX Edition AV Linux on your Radeons without committing to installation by running a session right from the installation media. I left Microsoft behind (aside from rare, specific uses) when Win7 came out. I keep up with Windows, mostly at work, but I love Linux. No regrets.

Sorry if I missed it - what DAW are you using?
DAW: Reaper
I've gone through 12 distros now without success. I think it's time, once more, to wait 5 years (for the 3rd time) for Linux to get its sh!t together.

I was under the impression that Reaper and Linux were a bulletproof combo by now, regardless of distro.... I mean, it's *built in* to AV Linux MX Edition and I'm pretty sure it has been for previous versions over the years. Has this distro been problematic for you?20231220_193808.jpg

Think maybe it's time to just upgrade and build a new system from the ground up.

Any thoughts on Windows 10 vs 11?
Definitely not Windows 11, because it's still relatively new (came out in October 2021) and has many bugs and issues that arise from being an early adopter, even though it is essentially a re-skin/re-release of Windows 10.

As for Tiny 10 and other third party versions, the idea of reducing all of Microsoft's bloatware is certainly respectable, but I would be hesitant to recommend anything third party if you aren't already familiar with Windows 10 because it requires an extra layer of trust. You can replicate a substantial amount of what Tiny 10 claims to do on your own, ex: uninstalling/disabling a good amount default Windows 10 apps using Microsoft's own built in command line, etc.

The speed you might get from using Windows 10 vs. Windows 11 or Tiny 10 vs Windows 10 is not worth the frustration/diagnosing of problems that add on to the learning curve from using Windows 10 for the first time. Not saying that Windows 10 doesn't have it's fair share of problems, because it has plenty, but at least there are 8 years of many Windows 10 users on the internet who post solutions to common issues and offer assistance.

Back