wiring up inline preamp with T in/out /phantom powered and used for ribbon (marinair + sowter)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ion

Hi, i would love to get some advices,

since i need a smal mobile powered preamp for field recordings with a nagra SN tape recorder i am about to stick together a few elements in a small box.
the basic idea is using an xvive p1 +48v supply to drive a cloudlifter cl-1 to make use of a SE VR1 ribbon Mic.

i want to add a marinair t1452 (31267) and might want to wire it up as suggested by JLM to be able to mix in a 2nd mic sometimes or Line levels = 3 inputs.
i am not 100% sure if i should put the T up front between CL-1 and Mic or better after the P-1 = between preamp and recorder.
i also have a few sowter mic step ups from a defective sqn 3m mixer wich i think should be 1:5. i could also put that up front and the marinair between preamp and recorder.

the vr1 mic has 300 Ohms the Cl-1 3000 ohms and the nagra wants to see up to 200 ohms source impedance at mic in / above 500 ohms at line in.

i could really need some help in getting the impedances in/out to best values and if a trim pot after one of the Tˋs would act as variable impedance for the mic.
the nagra sn has some automatic level control compressor circuit at mic in and iam not sure if using that input gives additional gain as the Cl-1 25db isnt a lot for a ribbon. My idea was to push the transformer(s) for a bit more gain. But should i go to line in of the recorder in that case?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back