• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted WTB: 1-3uf 150v wet tantalum

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salomonander

Looking for these for a client. The most unusual value. Does anyone have any, or knows a source? Thanks!

That's a hard one !

Vishay 135D series... 3uF 150V... non stocked at mouser, 33weeks lead time, 25pces min for almost 2k 😬
If possible I'll look for substitution :rolleyes:

Cheers
Zam

I know…. They are from the land of unicorns.
TEDs capacitors stocks a NOS version for 180us a piece ;)

What on earth has driven these prices? Time to buy certain old broadcast gear full of them and harvest.

If possible I'll look for substitution :rolleyes:
+1
Current electrolytics are certainly good enough, and space permitting, film caps are even better.
And no, I don't understand the obsession with preserving vintage gear in all its aspects, even flaws or imperfections.
I put that in the same category as vintage guitar collectors who insist on keeping long-dead strings on their instruments (which they almost never play) or vintage car freaks who buy at incredible prices vintage GAS!
IMO.

Thanks guys. The 125v wont do im afraid. Now the client just sent me some pics of the original. Are these even wet tantalum? Or maybe pio or mkl?

Attachments

• D74A76A0-45B2-48E5-9FF4-6DA892944199.jpeg
    D74A76A0-45B2-48E5-9FF4-6DA892944199.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 0
  • CAF0EF78-9C85-4F82-8665-1AF2713CD49F.jpeg
    CAF0EF78-9C85-4F82-8665-1AF2713CD49F.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 0
Actually the code seems to stand for a standard elko.… say an ebay auction with the same code. B43253 - can anyone confirm?

Nevermind… these are for elam 251s. Didnt know that. And im pretty certain they used wet tantalum? Would a 125v cap work as well?

Nevermind… these are for elam 251s. Didnt know that. And im pretty certain they used wet tantalum? Would a 125v cap work as well?
At the time, a wet tantalum cap was probably the only possible combination of low leakage and compactness. Today, zlectrolytic capacitor technology has improved so much current products rival and better tantalum caps of the era. However, the choice is not vast. You'll probably have to use a 2.2uF/160V, which may not be available in axial form.

Thanks! Im afraid my client does not want to take any chances. He insists on these. Do you know if the 150v is a must in the ELAM? Or would 125v work as well? These are available for a reasonable price.

o you know if the 150v is a must in the ELAM? Or would 125v work as well? These are available for a reasonable price.
The voltage there is about 60V in operation, but when powering up the system, the voltage there can reach about 110V for a few seconds.
I wouldn't take the risk of using a NOS 125V cap there.

What is the risk that the client thinks he would be taking ?

My guess is that the client fears the performance deviating from the original in some way due to the improvement in parts quality.

I’m tempted to think that’s silly, but then I remember I usually replace noisy plate load resistors in vintage guitar amps with vintage-spec carbon composition, so I don’t have much room to talk…

My guess is that the client fears the performance deviating from the original in some way due to the improvement in parts quality.

All of us have that "Client" from time to time,
it's my belief that we as the "Expert" should be confident enough to "Educate" our clients also.
Educating them and freeing them from wrong misconceptions and out of context beliefs is really important.
Of course there will always be the "stubborn til dead" one but I've found that most clients will react quite well when you tell them straight and be patient to take your time and explain then why technically their belief was wrong.

Back