Brand new gear...Hmmm, maybe....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luny Tune

Well, I saw this:
179.jpg

...and the price tag that says just under 150 ?...

And I thought to myself:"Hmmm, there are pretty neat (neat looking anyway) meters for 4 GSSLs, about 17 small switches for whatever, a front full of ok looking knobs, covering what would probably very useful pots for a wide variety of projects, a couple of 12AX7A tubes, a power switch, a backside with XLRs/jacks for at least one stereo comp (obviously), powerplug, fuseholder, and the case itself. Throw away the front plate and have a new one made. Hell, if you don't care much for the look then you could maybe even fit 2 SSL clones in it and re-use the frontplate!! And still have a good deal of parts left over for other projects."

And I haven't even looked inside the damn thing yet. Maybe the psu is re-usable, and who knows what else is in there...

For under 150 ?...!?

Is there something I'm missing, or is it just begging to be bought and scrapped right away:?:

You need to see one in person and bang on the panel to see whether you really want one or not. I doubt those cheap components are going to do much for you.

I bought one of these used in mint condition for $95 at my local Guitar Center earlier this year. I'd say that's about the right price for one, and yes, I bought it for parts.

Not much use for the preamp circuitry or components (all surface-mount poop), but the meters are cool (I think Frank at NRG uses these for his SSL clones) as is the chassis. The meters are $20 each at the parts distributor in New Jersey, so for four, plus the chassis I think it's worth it.

I'm gonna use the chassis for a pair of G1176's. It already has two male and two female XLR's on the back as well as the AC inlet with built-in fuse holder, so it's pretty perfect for that.

The knobs are cheapy "D"-shaft types that actually require funky machining of the faceplate to fit right, so not much use there.

The PSU supplies +/- 15 volts, +24 volts, +32 volts and +48 volts for phantom. I'm guessing the 24 and 32 are for tubes, relays, etc... The other for opamps and phantom. Nice, beefy power transformer, it seems. Could be used to power several F110's or a couple of Green's, etc...

Not a bad buy if you can find one cheap. And I don't think anyone will be crying to see it in pieces. :wink:

JC

Thanks, Rascalseven.

You're right. The really good deal is to buy a used one.

The chassis (even without the front plate), 4 XLRs, AC inlet w/fuse holder, 4 meters, the 2 tubes, and the PSU...here in Denmark that'll be more than the ?140 that's more like the actual price for the whole unit here.

Maybe that's also a clue to the level of quality of this piece of....well...
Scodiddly and Sender, you're both right. What ignited the idea was the meters first and foremost and I just thought that what's mounted on the back panel must be reusable, and what else...

Back