need a very simple signal led circuit , not the Rane one

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre tchmil

I searched here for a simple signal led circuit, one single led is enough.
I know the one on the Rane schematic, but simpler would be better.

Want to use it in the Gyraf guitar splitter thing

excuse my ignorance, but what's the design (Gyraf guitar splitter thing) and where can we see it?

Cheers Dré

Try this one. I whipped it up this afternoon - simple one op amp, one supply, one LED peak meter. About as minimal as you can get.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tamron1958/Peak_LED_Meter.pdf

1/2 LM358 or 1/4 of LM324 will swing nearly to ground and be entirely adequate otherwise.

Realize that you will get funny indications if your waveforms are highly asymmetrical---the Rane etc. circuits are somewhat more complex in order to avoid this.

This one is very close to 1/2 of the Rane version except that it rectifies positive instead of negative. Otherwise, the trick is to get the correct value of R1 for the reasons I put on the schematic. Probably could put a 1k trim-pot in series with a 100-200 ohm for R1 and adjust for the best performance/intensity. If it still acts a little flaky you may want to raise the 1uf to 2.2uf. Trade off is that it will respond a little slower.

Groner sent me a schematic to review which had a Rane circuit (he said, IIRC) that was full-wave---two diodes, one from each of the two balanced lines out of a preamp. I assumed that the one referred to was similar.

Yes, I believe we are talking about the same one, but for a guitar splitter, I assumed it would be unbalanced. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Anyway, that was my reasoning for trying the 2.2uF in place of the 1uF - to compensate for the half-wave rectification.

Ok, I just put up the latest version (same link in thread above) which has the option for a balanced or single-ended input, along with notes for choosing op amp and LED current resistor. Thanks to Brad for helping me iron this out. :thumb:

Back