V72a Gain control

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlaury

I've got a pair of V72a that I want to put to work. Whats the best way to add an external gain control? The only way I can see doing it is to add an external stepped attenuator at the input and not use a real gain control.
Any Ideas from the group?

RonL

A stepped and floating 600-ohm output attenuator would probably work, too. Combined with the input attenuator it would give flexibility to drive the thing accordingly. Granted, these are slap-on simple solutions and I presume you'd like an interstage gain control.

External attenuator at the input should work great. Maybe you could add a 40dB attenuator at the input and a 20dB attenuator at the output and have more "sound control"...

I'm thinking a semi bridged "T" at the output with about a -20dB range and a -20dB pad on the input. This should cover most of the bases.

RonL

In that case, head for http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=6711

there's a 6-step bridged-T attenuator with -30dB range, and the -20dB pad hidden in those pages. I don't know wether the V72a has a true 600-ohm output though.

A while back Joe Malone recomended a veriable pad before the pre in order to keep the dynamic range of the pre in tact.

I am currently working on setting up my V72 set up with a simple -20dB pad at the input and a variable 0 - -20dB pad (2 dB steps) on the output, I will post some info when I have it tested / running.

Just think like this... With the pad before the pre, you loose signal-noise ratio. With the pad at the output you loose headroom.

great :thumb: There must also be a possibility to adjust gain within the unit, as gunter wagner does, for example.

Another thing I am really interested in is adding a direct input for recording bass guitar, I know it must be possible to connect a high impedance instrument directly to the first stage tube after the input trafo in a V72, but don't know the details of the "modification", maybe there is nothing more to it :roll:

side note: interesting to note that the V72 is a different animal compared to the V72a, a friend compared them both in the studio and said they sound quite different.

Latest posts

Back