kiira

Balanced unbalanced line-in question
« on: August 21, 2006, 10:54:36 AM »
Quick dumb question about my NYD-2b... I have a stereo 1/4" jack on the front panel for line-in and that goes to the 10k:10k xformer acourse..  Is there a way to do it different so I could use both balanced and unbalanced line-in? The way it is now only half the transformer would get input.. the sleeve on the mono jack goes to ground .

Kiira

mattmoogus

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 11:54:16 AM »
As long as you have it wired like this:

primary + to T
primary - to R
shield/ground to S

inserting a TS jack will automatically pull the primary - to ground, giving you an unbalanced input.  Simple eh?  :cool:
The only problem would be if you had a TRS with nothing wired to the R.  Then youd get the familiar one legged transformer bleed sound (very quiet high freq only).

[email protected]
...btw I work for Joe :-)

kiira

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 12:16:53 PM »
Quote from: "mattmoogus"
As long as you have it wired like this:

primary + to T
primary - to R
shield/ground to S

inserting a TS jack will automatically pull the primary - to ground, giving you an unbalanced input.  Simple eh?  :cool:
The only problem would be if you had a TRS with nothing wired to the R.  Then youd get the familiar one legged transformer bleed sound (very quiet high freq only).

Ah ha! So the ring of a trs jack will touch the sleeve (ground) of a regular TS jack. I thought it floated. Yes I wired it that way. lol it would have worked if I'd tried it.

thanks,

Kiira