Monitoring signal after transformer???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukasound

How to pick signal after output transfomer for monitoring. I am planing to build one summing box with output transformer. Too, I ll build one Control Room Monitor circuit and I would like to monitor signal through this. If I pick signal after Opamp (before transformer) I wouldn listen sound through transformer.
Thanks in advance for sugestions.
Duka

I trust you are talking about an active summing box and not a passive one.

Is the transformer output floating, balanced centre-tapped to ground or single-ended?

If single-ended, put the transformer output into a balanced line driver such as the DRV135 or SSM2142.

If balanced centre-tapped to ground, put the transfomer output into a line receiver-driver combination (SSM2143 -> SSM2142).

If you need your transformer output to be fully floating, you can't monitor the output without compromising the floating properties except by using a second transformer to convert the monitor output into one of the two instances above.

[quote author="Boswell"]I trust you are talking about an active summing box and not a passive one.

Is the transformer output floating, balanced centre-tapped to ground or single-ended?

If single-ended, put the transformer output into a balanced line driver such as the DRV135 or SSM2142.

If balanced centre-tapped to ground, put the transfomer output into a line receiver-driver combination (SSM2143 -> SSM2142).

If you need your transformer output to be fully floating, you can't monitor the output without compromising the floating properties except by using a second transformer to convert the monitor output into one of the two instances above.[/quote]
It is active summing box with floating output. Transformer is Stancor from MCI output. I understand about second transfomer but it will give different sound.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Duka

[quote author="dukasound"]It is active summing box with floating output. Transformer is Stancor from MCI output. I understand about second transfomer but it will give different sound.
Any other suggestions?[/quote]
Yes, consider what it is you are going to drive with the main output of the summing box. It is likely that the input of whatever it is will be ground-referenced in some way. So one of the two options of single-ended grounding or balanced grounding may happen automatically when you connect up the main output. In which case, you can safely use one of the methods I suggested previously. With a bit of care, you could build both in the same box and use a change-over switch to retain flexibility.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Too bad they don't make "bridging transformers" anymore. They certainly had their uses.[/quote]
Thanks
You asked me does transformer have C.T.
What can be solution if output transfomer have central tap.
Second question:
I suppose this problem I will have in Led VU metering for my racked Langevin. How to connect this circuit?

Latest posts

Back