2.1 passive monitor controller?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camshash

Hey guys, I'm trying to find a passive monitor controller that supports a 2.1 setup. It needs to have 3 balanced inputs, and 3 balanced outputs as I am setting my crossover point ITB in my antelope orion interface.

A lot of the controllers I am finding support 2.1, but the sub out is just a sum of Left+Right and is assuming you use a crossover afterwards, which I am not. I am only using 1 source, and 1 set of speakers so I do not need to switch between different speakers.

I am using a Heritage audio Baby ram passive currently, which I like a lot, and was wondering if I could mod the unit to support my needs. It uses a stepped rotary control. Is there a stepped rotary switch that I could use to support 3 balanced ins/outs?

Sorry if this question is not relevant, can't find a controller anywhere that suits my needs so am looking into building one, but my biggest hurdle in building one is finding a stepped rotary switch that supports 3 balanced I/O

I haven’t seen any passive units with the features you requested. I have friends and clients who use the Studio Technologies monitor controllers, which are avail from 2.0 up to immersive formats, and can be found used very I expensively. They sound great and work very well, but they are not passive. The stereo units that sold for around 1800 new can be found used for under a couple hundred dollars. I have recapped a couple old units and they are excellent.

Also, not sure which Antelope you are using, but can’t that box be used as a monito controller? Maybe add a Streadeck + for physical control surface? Or lookin into the Ginger Audio software monitor control options- they use your existing hardware and provide monitor switching, source selection and even bass management if you desire. The Ginger software can be hardware controlled via MIDI, Eucon, StreamDeck, or iOS App.

Curious also to see if you find a 3-input passive device!

I haven’t seen any passive units with the features you requested. I have friends and clients who use the Studio Technologies monitor controllers, which are avail from 2.0 up to immersive formats, and can be found used very I expensively. They sound great and work very well, but they are not passive. The stereo units that sold for around 1800 new can be found used for under a couple hundred dollars. I have recapped a couple old units and they are excellent.

Also, not sure which Antelope you are using, but can’t that box be used as a monito controller? Maybe add a Streadeck + for physical control surface? Or lookin into the Ginger Audio software monitor control options- they use your existing hardware and provide monitor switching, source selection and even bass management if you desire. The Ginger software can be hardware controlled via MIDI, Eucon, StreamDeck, or iOS App.

Curious also to see if you find a 3-input passive device!
Thanks for the info! The antelope comes with the MRC monitor controller, which I would work for my use case, and it is one less device as the unit is USB and just a remote controller so the audio goes straight from interface to amps. However, I am a little paranoid of it being software controlled and fear a glitch or some setting getting buffed and having a +24dBu signal getting sent to my power amps. Having a physical analog controller just seems more safe to me but I could just be over-cautious. Also it does not have to be passive, just transparent and low-noise.

Update! Goldpoint makes stepped gain attenuators. Im just hearing about them but apparently goldpoint is highly regarded in the audio world. They make a 24 step, 6 channel (3 balanced) attenuator which will work for my use casr. They arent cheap but come fully assembled with surface mount resistors and seem to be very high quality.

Last edited:
I also considered building a multichannel relay mute box. That would be your kill switch in case of a runaway output to your speakers. The mute box would be 100% transparent and very low cost. 3 relays, AC/dc adapter, and a remote switch.

I ultimately kept a software monitor controller with a Streamdeck+ to control it. My interface is wired directly to my speakers and in over a year of daily use, I’ve never sent full scale audio to my speakers. I do power my computer and interface up before turning on my speakers.

Latest posts

Back