How to "dismatle" an B&K/DPA 4006

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Simonsen

Hi gang ! ;-).

It´s been quite some time since my last visit around here. It´s very nice to see everything is still up and running in perfect order :).

:? :oops: Man I have an old B&K/DPA 4006 mic that is not working..it´s been laying around for years. just last night I was thinkin´ to myself..hmm Lets take a look at this sucker and see whats inside..but quess what..I..I..I mean.. :roll: I cant figure out how to take this mic apart???. I took out the XLR from the bottom of the mic..One of the wires from the xlr was broken..thats the (maybe) good news..I can fix that..*he-he*, but now I´m curious...? Does anybody know how to dismatle this sucker..? I´d like to take a deeper look inside Now..Dont ask why..you know..it´s just the nature of the beast right ?..*GGG*

Any help would be greatly appreciated *S*

Thank you gents ;-)

Kind regards

Peter

I forget how exactly, but it all does come out of the XLR end.

However, I seem to remember some sort of "booby-trap" for the unaware, and the capsule end has something tricky to it, that you can damage if you don't do it right... -only it's been WAY too long and I've forgotten what it was.

-So you're faced with a decision: Solder the wire, reassemble and test, potentially enjoying a repaired 4006 (which I would KILL for, BTW!) or continue and possibly break the mic you may have just repaired...

I know what I'd do...

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yep..don´t you worry..I´m gonna test if the mic is working after the solder job before going any further..thats for sure. *S* I was merely interested..if that didn´t do the job. It´s quite an interesting mic. got another one that is 100% working. I´m not so much into these mics anymore. Hardly gets any use these days..*S*

Thanks for your answer.

Kind regards

Peter

Lately I've taken to vainly typing B&K 4006 into eBay... I used to have a pair a LONG time ago. I wish I still had them. I could use them nowadays, that's for darned sure!

The old B&K's were transformer output. DPA continued with the same design for a while, but the newer ones are transformerless.

Keith

Yep you´re right..I have been contacted a few times from DPA with the option to get my old transformer ones "opdated" to the new ones without the transformer, but I have heard the new ones and didnt like them "as much" as my old ones..that I somehow dont like too much anymore these days. I did use them quite much in past times.

Kind regards

Peter

Actually, they're right. The new ones are the way to go. Worth paying a LOT of money for, in fact.

-I recommend you sell the old ones for me. They're not worth much, but I'll help you out, since you're a mate! ;-)

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]Actually, they're right. The new ones are the way to go. Worth paying a LOT of money for, in fact.

-I recommend you sell the old ones for me. They're not worth much, but I'll help you out, since you're a mate! ;-)

Keith[/quote]

*LOOOL*...I somehow just knew something like that would come around :grin:

In that regard..let me get back to you Keith with an offer on a matched pair of the new ones..at a price that´ll be so high you cant resist ;-). But only ´cause you´re a mate too ;-). *GGG*

Kind regards

Peter

[quote author="SSLtech"]I'll have my lawyer contact you to sort out the details.

He's an ex-mafia lawyer. -He'll make you an offer you can't understand! :wink:

keef[/quote]

I must say..I know 300% he´s not an ex mafia lawyer ;-) If he had been..I´m affraid you would not be able to talk to him anymore :wink: :green:

Kind regards

Peter

Stumbled on this old thread when searching for DPA repair info. Just at the point of returning my occasionally buzzing mic to DPA for a repair (expensive), I decided nothing to loose by taking it apart.

There is a clip-ring-wire pressed out to a groove inside the XLR connector socket. You can grab the bent end with a fine tipped needle nose pliers to pull it out. I was then able to pull out the circuit board far enough to guess the problem (but not completely out because I did not want to risk breaking the connection wires to the capsule).

The buzzing problem was fixed by bending two side-wiper spring contacts that apparently did not have enough outer tension against the microphone housing to make a reliable ground. Surprising to me that before increasing this tension, the mic was picking up a 60hz buzz even though the nearest ac was over 10 ft away (and the mic power was from MixPre II running on a battery - so no reason to suspect 60hz from there).

Latest posts

Back