altec 436 worth it ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of a vague question. I guess it depends on how much trouble and how much expense.

Certainly worth a re-cap and general refurbishing if that's all it needs to get up and running.

i can get it for $200
apparently it works.
i read that its noisy
and is kinda neat but not something to get to excited about

Hey, if I could get one WITH TUBES in more-or-less working condition for that price, I'd probably go for it. If you don't like it, you could turn around and sell it for a profit.

a 436 for $200 is worth it if not for any other reason than immediately putting it up on ebay and getting $700 for it. Sonically, Id say $200 is about what they are worth. If you recap it and put an attenuator on the output (which you really need to do) its a very usable one trick pony that is unique in a sometimes interesting sometimes shitty way. It was my first cool color compressor and I still have it today but I rarely use it. It does an interesting thing to a snare drum if you ever get the occasion to put a snare drum through a mu tube limiter...

dave

[quote author="gevermil"]i can get it for $200
apparently it works.
i read that its noisy
and is kinda neat but not something to get to excited about[/quote]

That's a good deal if all the xfrmrs, meter, chassis are intact (and you can troubleshoot/repair).

I had a couple of 438c (with mic amp stage) but never found much use for them.......sold......next.

I picked up a clean Gates Level Devil for about $50 earlier this year. I really gotta fire that thing up and try it out sometime. What are the kids paying for those these days?

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]I picked up a clean Gates Level Devil for about $50 earlier this year. I really gotta fire that thing up and try it out sometime. What are the kids paying for those these days?[/quote]

Way too much, I'm sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23793&item=3744178374&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Not a level devil, but close. Looks like you just made rent! :guinness:

Latest posts

Back