Dummy Heatsink Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudioJunkie

So my first time to deal with heatsinks.

If I use the T0-220 mounting kit with the insulator, do I still need the thermal grease?

Is thermal grease conductive? On the G9 everyone talkes about the 78s12 needing to be electrically isolated from the chassis if you heatsink it to the case.

I was just going to use an aluminium right angle to mount the G9 regulator so the bottom of the chassis. Should I use thermal grease on the bottom of the angle to better disperse the heat to the chassis?

Daniel

I would put grease between sink and chassis, it couldn't hurt and it will help disipation. Just make sure you are still electically isolated if that is what you need.

No grease needed if you have the thermal pads

[quote author="guavatone"]I would put grease between sink and chassis[/quote]

Now I'm confused :?

[quote author="drpat"][quote author="guavatone"]I would put grease between sink and chassis[/quote]

Now I'm confused :?[/quote]

Probably he means that one can use the chassis as a heatsink instead of using a "real" heatsink. But in my opinion a heatsink is a much better choice. The iron in the chassis conduct heat very badly.

Or he mean the chassis of the to220 device.

http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1012.pdf

this might help

Um, why is Pucho everywhere?

-I was replying to the idea of using the "L" channel aluminum on the backs of the regs(with pad in between) and bolting the other side of the L to the chassis with grease in between.

Back