Silver Plating

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
I have been using this Coolamp stuff for years and really like it. It applies a silver plating to copper conductors for better contact. It is used a lot in high current applications. It is about 250 dollars a bottle, but they will ship samples.

Here are a few pics of the process.

Take off any oxidation with some scotchbrite:
plate_7.jpg

Here is the bare copper, washed and ready to be plated:

plate_2.jpg

No, thats not what you think!
It is the silver powder, which does contain real silver.

plate_3.jpg

Get a paper towell damp and wipe up the powder with it.

plate_4.jpg

Rub it hard onto the copper surface, using more powder as necessary.

plate_5.jpg

Wash off the residue and your done. Silver conducts beter than gold.

plate_8.jpg

I shoulda used that stuff on the old MCI JH110 :)

not too bad on the prices.... 1lb for $145

http://www.cool-amp.com/page4.html

That's pretty cool...but too rich for my blood.....errrr wallet.

[quote author="cjenrick"]Silver conducts beter than gold. [/quote]

Only marginally. Silver resistance is only about 0.12 microohms/mass lower than copper. And contrary to popular belief copper beats gold by about 1 microohm/mass.

-Ethan

Wow. Prices really came down. They depend alot on the price of silver, which fluxuates quite a bit.
Yes, Ethan you right, and silver oxidizes more than gold so take the appropriate measures.

I like to use tin. MG chemicals makes a liquid tinning solution at about 25 bucks a bottle, and you can keep reusing it as long as you tinplate in a nice clean plastic container.

Conductivity wise I don't know if its better or worse than just the straight copper, but it also beefs up your traces if they are a tad thin, as sometimes happens when I etch boards using that heat trasfer etching mask stuff.

I figure since all my Langevin and Electrodyne gear has tinplated boards I must be in good company.

Sleeper

Tin is actually one of the worst metal conductors, far far behind aluminum and steel. That's ok though since tinplating is really only done to prevent oxidation. The downside is that it will scratch off with a bit of effort.

I agree, I've been using (borrowing :grin:) some of the MG chemicals Tinnit since Prodigy started stocking MG stuff in the shop. Nice and clean, but smells like ass.

> Silver conducts beter than gold.

Now you know that is wrong.

Silver is a little better than copper. Why it is used in radio-frequency coils where most current crowds into the skin of the metal, so a thin layer of your very best metal makes a difference.

Though in most RF work, I always thought silver plating was more a fad than a benefit.

But who cares about conductivity when you are putting micro-inches of metal in a many-inch long path? You could iron-plate those contacts and never know the difference in conductivity.

Until it rusts. Silver's tarnish is a poor conductor. About the best thing you can say is that it will scrub-off easier than copper tarnish (or iron rust!). So when the contact fails, a quick out/in may restore it. That actually works in switches and relays which work by moving. But in a card connector I'm not sure what the point is. You have to stop the gig and jiggle the card. In another second you can scrub copper-oxide on your jeans and get it working again.

The gold-standard is of course GOLD. Conductivity is not great, but again we are talking a VERY small percent of the total path, so its "extra resistance" is negligible. And Gold won't rust. (That gold-colored stuff they use now for "Gold contacts" sure will.)

There is a guy who sells home electroplate, including gold. I think about $99 for gold (others less). It is a pen-light with a felt swab where the bulb was, and an aligator clip. You soak the swab in solution, put in a battery, clip the aligator clip to the object, and rub the swab on it. The electrons carry the gold onto the object. It isn't good for much more than a few gold fingers, but could be worth it if you have poor contacts in profitable gear. (But how do you gold-plate the inside of the other connector?)

I think Platinum will work if gold is too cheap or gaudy for your taste.

Interesting story. Silver is not only a better electrical conductor than Copper or Aluminum, it is a better thermal conductor. (The two properties are related, though stuff like ceramic foils the electrical conductivity.) Some guys making motorcycle engines figured a silver engine head would run cooler. Well, the price was a shocker: you end up with a bank-guard watching the job and searching everybody who leaves, and carefully saving every bit of dust for sell-back. And silver is so soft that when you bolt it down, it squishes. You alloy with copper to harden it, but they ended up more copper than silver, and thicker too. AND heavier! So it didn't run any better, and they didn't get back all they'd invested in silver bars.

> it smells like ass.

A lot of electroplating (that powder is electroplating, it sets up its own charge) uses sulphur (sulphuric acid) and cyanide compounds. So they stink. Cyanide is probably not used in "home kits", but that forces them to use some other stinky stuff.

Back