Capacitor values to go with this Inductor for Pultec

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldsnow

Hi all, I've ordered a Cinemag inductor for a Pultec hi boost band with the following measures:
150mH, 82mH , 68mH , 47mH , 33mH , 27mH
These are slightly different then the ones I've found on schematics and past threads. The closest I've found is a 175, 100, 90,65, 35, 29, 19 on a schematic. Would it be way off if I used the same cap values found on that schematic: 15n, 10n, 6n6, 3n3. I read another schematic that had a 6n2 instead of the 6n6 and 5n instead of the 3n3.
Please help,
Thank you.

I built mine using the cinemag inductor as well. There used to be a page ( I think on Gyraf's site) by "Hosef" dated 7-11-97 that showed cap values to go with the same inductor values as the cinemag.

Or go to any of the Inductance-capacitance-frequency calculators on the internets and you can create your own freq. selection bands (or find the cap values for the orig. freq. bands)

In one of these Pultec threads CJ mentions that you will probably want to choose your freq. bands by ear. After building one I can see (hear) why.

[quote author="pucho812"]like this one

http://www.opamplabs.com/cfl.htm[/quote]

I dislike that one :cool: :green:

I mean, that calculator is convenient, but it's a simple formula and one that comes in handy more than a few times. I rather remember that formula than that I have to remember that I had a calculator for it bookmarked :wink:

FWIW: it does f = 1/(2*pi*(sqrt(L*C)))

(actually f = 1000/(2*pi*(sqrt(L*C))) since C has to be entered in uF's)

inductance changes with level and frequency, so it is just a loose figure used by amateurs.
put a cap in, listen, then put the next band in so that there is not a huge jump in frequency, you tweak it for smooth jumps, otherwise, if you use math only, like I did, you end up tearing everything out and starting over again.

with straight math, and reading cap values off the label, and inductor values off of Brian's machine, whatever he uses, you will tend to get quantum jumps, like an electron leaving it's orbital and moving into the valence band, three feet from the nucleus.

off course, you will build it first, and then find this out, but thats part of the learning process.

buy a couple of caps around the values you need, and turn your pultec into an oscillator, by feeding the output signal back into the input. you can do that with your soundcard, or a mixer for example. (everything flat on the filters except high boost)

-max

Back