Genelec schematic 1031a

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RemcoV

Hiya,

Could somebody help me out with a schematic of a Genelec 1031a?
I've got something weird going on in one of my units.

Thanks!
Remco

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they are extremely protective of their materials and documentation. I had to fix a x-over in one once, and they refused to sell me the actual part, they wanted the whole unit sent back. For an obvious(and minor) problem. If one is found, though, I would appreciate that as well.

Zach

Excessive hi end?
Perhaps a lack of midrange? :green:

Nope no excessive hi-end:)

Low driver has quit working but still measures ok and when put on another ampllifier it works perfect.. So must be somewhere in the box..

I'll see if i can get the other speakers aswell, and then compare between the 2.. That's the only other thing that i can try..

And you almost think something about all the secretcy that Genelec keep around their products.... Is there something fishy inside??? :)

Thanks!

Remco

[quote author="Gert"]Don't they use the LM3886 as poweramp?
Gert[/quote]
No, not at all.

From memory, they use discrete component amplifiers. There is a central heatsink with the output drivers bolted to it. I've had problems with the molex connectors and I've had the fuses blow, but that's been most of the problem.

Check the molexes, then look around inside. It's not all that difficult, luckily.

-Also -Remco, I've got those switch caps for you... just been a bit busy recently, I'll go through everything this week, I promise!

Keith

Right, the search continous:

The amplifiers are build up with 2SA1302/2SC3281 as drivers and 2SA1837/2SC4793 as predrivers.

The problem is not caused by the amplifiers. The signal that gets to the amp is already weird..
The lowend cuts away, when you feed it some more level there is a spike of sound popping thru every once in a while.

I've traced it back to one of the 2 boards that are located next to the molex.. Think this is some sort of correction thing..
But the back of that is filled with SMD-things without writing.. nice, nice...

but there are 2 big transistors on there aswell, so i'll keep on tracing:)

Remco

Hi all,

I'm digging this topic, do some of you know the molex connector needed for the 1031A ? My boomers are both starting to have dropouts.

Thanks!

One of mine is having some intermittent noise issues that are usually resolved by a quick slam of a fist to my desktop. This may be a connection issue inside, possibly a dirty molex connection. I’ve never looked inside the unit. Can someone tell me if it’s worth looking inside or if I should take it to a tech?

If it’s not a crazy can of worms inside, maybe I can get to those molex connectors with a little Deoxit and a swab or something?

You could check the Service info (attached). Hope it helps...

Attachments

• Genelec_1031_Service.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 64
Hello All,
First thing is to remove old solder from the pins of the Molex connectors on the PCB, and resolver them.
With the time, the solder, the Molex pins and the copper of the PCB tend to generate faulty contacts.
I made return to life of several Genelec monitors doing it.
Best,
Guy

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Seems like the problem on mine is more inside of the molex because bending the cable and keeping it in place with barnier tape solves temporarily the problem (until the tape needs to be set in place again).
I'll check the soldering issue, but it is strange the black cable (boomer connection) is always in fault.

Back