Flundran

White labels print on dark panel?
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:10:59 AM »
I have a panel made of aluminium. My plan was to have it anodised and then engraved with white infill. Then I found out that this particular aluminium alloy is bad for anodising. Now I'm thinking of painting the panel dark grey and buy white labels for it. The thing is, I want the label to be white with transparent background, so it will look good against the color of the panel. Is there a good supplier for this kind of printed labels? I contacted a local company where I live, and they said that screen print is the way to go and It will cost me about $130 for a A4 size decal with white labels. It felt a bit expensive. What are your experiences on this?

Kind Regards
Rikard

BradAvenson

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 11:53:58 AM »
If you paint the panel you may be able to laser engrave it.  I would try a scrap first, but I know it works well with powder coating.

luckylocky

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:08:49 PM »
Is it just for one unit? If so you could try pickup lettering systems. I know it's pain in the a.. to put each letter on the surface but it looks professional. I've a speaker switching unit at work that's been labeled with pickup letters. Used for many years and the letters are still there!

Cheers Patr!ck

Flundran

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:21:26 PM »
Quote from: "BradAvenson"
If you paint the panel you may be able to laser engrave it.  I would try a scrap first, but I know it works well with powder coating.

Hi Brad!
Yes, laser engraving would loog nice, but I'm not shure if the paint would stay on... If I leave the panel for engraving I must be shure it will work, because it will cost money either way.
How is it going with the design of a power amp stage for the Wurlitzer? I have played my Wurly with your tube preamp every day for almost a year now and It works like a charm! :sam:

Flundran

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 12:22:49 PM »
Quote from: "luckylocky"
Is it just for one unit? If so you could try pickup lettering systems. I know it's pain in the a.. to put each letter on the surface but it looks professional. I've a speaker switching unit at work that's been labeled with pickup letters. Used for many years and the letters are still there!

Cheers Patr!ck

This sounds like an option for me. My project is actually a modular synth with several different panels that will sit next to each other. Where can one buy this pickup lettering? I haven't used it before. Got any pics of the switching unit? :-)

/R

Denyle Guitars

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 06:02:11 PM »
Try some water slide decal paper in your computer's printer. I bought mine from BEL INC. and I believe they have some for white lettering. I'd hit it all with a coat of clear to protect the finish and lettering. Also, go to Small Bear electronics for self etching spray bomb primer, since most metal primers have a hard time sticking to aluminum.

Flundran

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 03:02:42 AM »
Thanks for the tip on primer for aluminium, I was looking for this. I actually have white water slide decal paper. When you put this paper in the printer you print out everything but the white, so you end up with white lettering on a colored background. I want to avoid this if possible, It will look cheap if the printed color doesn't match with the panel color.

/R

BradAvenson

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 03:32:50 AM »
Quote from: "Flundran"

I'm not shure if the paint would stay on... If I leave the panel for engraving I must be shure it will work, because it will cost money either way.
How is it going with the design of a power amp stage for the Wurlitzer? I have played my Wurly with your tube preamp every day for almost a year now and It works like a charm! :sam:

I'm glad the wurly upgrade is still sounding great.  I'll get around to the power amp and tremolo project eventually...  

I was suggesting you take a little scrap piece to your friendly local laser engraver and see if they would test it out for you.  Around here the trophy/awards shops have the laser machines and one guy charges by the letter with no setup charge.

Flundran

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 09:40:53 AM »
I just spoke with a local paintshop that will powdercoat all my panels (about ten of them) for $40. It seems like a pretty good deal. I will further look for a friendly local laser engraver who can do the rest.

/R