another DIY project almost wrapped up (pics in here)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

As long as were looking at semi naked lesters might as well show this recent, almost completed, project.

short scale bass originally a Gibson/Epiphone from the late 60's early 70's. The paint which was in sad shape was redone to a nice cream colour. The headstock stripped and redone in a nice natural finish. The original pickups were dead so some new ones got put in. Broken pickguard so fashioned one out of plastic material. It's not 100% finished as I need to wire in the electronics but it will have a blend knob for the 2 pickups, tone and volume. It's so close to being finished. so check it out...

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

And finally with the new not 100% finished pickguard.
IMG_1371.jpg

oh yeah forgot to mention put the strings on just for the photos :wink:

The official name for the finish from the store was called "Vintage white" and is sometimes also called Cream. I tested the sonics before the paint job. It has a well rounded sound not to heavy in any of the frequencies. I know the sound will change a little with the finished added butI don't think it will be a huge sonic difference.

Sorry I just saw this post.

The finish is nitrocellulose lacquer, and was done with a spray gun in a fairly clean room, my buddies garage. In all fairness a spray booth would have been better but didn't have access to one. the Finish came out good and no real flaws unless you over examine it. Then a clear coat was added.

However I have done some researching and a similar finish can be applied without the use of a spray gun...

Check out this website. had I not had access to a spray gun and someone who knows what they are doing to help, then I would have used their stuff.

http://home.flash.net/~guitars/

[quote author="maxheadroom"]pucho, whats the title of the book behind the bass?
i think i seen them in a local book store, but i can`t remember...[/quote]

That's the 3rd (latest I think) edition of the Handbook for Sound Engineers, ed. Ballou

[quote author="bcarso"][quote author="maxheadroom"]pucho, whats the title of the book behind the bass?
i think i seen them in a local book store, but i can`t remember...[/quote]

That's the 3rd (latest I think) edition of the Handbook for Sound Engineers, ed. Ballou[/quote]

that is correct.

give that man a cigar :thumb:

[quote author="RogerFoote"]Pucho

That finish is awesome! I love that cream color. Reminds me of Chris Squire's bass. I missed out on the Chris signature basses when they were available, so I ended up with a black/white.

Roger[/quote]

Thanks Roger

Latest posts

Back