measurement microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laitue5

I want to build a little lab for baffles testing.
Do you think Behringer ECM8000 is a nice bet for the price.
I think I’ll build a 990C based preamp to plug into my RME Hammerfall.
I hope this could make a good start.
But maybe ECM8000 would be the worst element in my setup?
A guy is offering a compensation file for this one (http://www.petoindominique.fr/php/mesurematos.php) but is it sufficient?

Hi,

ECM8000 will be great ! It's flat enough... :thumb:

That's the one I use for my acoustic measurements.
Just place it at the listening position ; pay attention to isolate the base of the microphone stand from the vibrations of the floor.

A good forum for the acoustic : http://forum.studiotips.com/index.php

About the compensation files, I have one too... I have to check where it is.
But, we talking about the very high frequencies if I well remember, where the sound becomes "diffuse" so it doesn't really matter.

eD)))

EDIT : I've just realized I read you post too quickly. :oops:
I was talking about "room acoustic"...

If the temperature varies a lot, beware of the electret mics having their response shift, and rendering the equalization incorrect. But typically this won't be a big problem unless you are using them in the "field".

I have an ECM8000 sitting in it's box, never used.
I also have a 100k spectrum analyzer (a beasty hardware type, raster display).

Do I use a mic pre between the mic and analyzer ?
(to study my room acoustics/treatments.)

=FB=

As I understand it the mentioned compensation file is 'valid' for the mic that guy has, and the ECM8000-sample you have might be different.
But who know it's better than using none at all. I do recall a website though (being mentioned in one of the other ECM8000-threads around here) that plotted two ECM8000-samples, and these were quite different.

If you happen to have two of these mics you could get an impression of matching by flipping the polarity on one of tjhem and then summing them.

Regards,

Peter

Thanks you guys for these infos.
I think I’ll go the DIY way.
More fun, more rewarding. ;)
I’ll try to build a compensation file for my microphone.

[quote author="laitue5"]Thanks you guys for these infos.
I think I’ll go the DIY way.
More fun, more rewarding. ;)[/quote]
Sure ! Note some DIY-fun could also be had by modding the ECM8000, various threads. Have a sh ECM8000 dropping in one of these days, might change a few things as well.

I’ll try to build a compensation file for my microphone.
Please share how you do it. Without a ruler-flat speaker in a conditioned room or without a calibrated reference mic it won't be easy (or 'valid') I guess.

Bye,

Peter

Back