standoffs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannikin

Hey guys

can you recommend some Standoffs for mounting PCBs (gssl type projects), I have searching through mouser and digikey .... and I'm getting annoyed because there are too many details and options...

looking for: round, female/female, 8-32 screw (I think...?)

any suggestions.... hex or whatever standard/basic standoff you use is great...... I don't know why this is so difficult... brain is crapping out on me.... just one of those days..I guess..

Part numbers are much appreciated.

thanks

For that kind of stuff, I think it's easer looking into the hardcopy catalog from mouser/digikey.

8-32 is a pretty big screw for mounting PCB's. I suggest a 4-40 or a 6-32 at the biggest.

.250" length 4-40 mouser part number:
534-2025

.250" 6-32 mouser part number:
534-3485

Remember when using short standoff's you need to use short screws because they will meet somewhere in the middle and never tighten.

The standoff's I use most often, mouser/digikey does not have a screw short enough to work so I need to order them from another place.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G14946
need to get shortest 4-40 screw , nut, lockwasher elsewhere--mcmaster-carr has'em cheap

http://www.fastenal.com/catalog_pages/2008/3-120.pdf

I order the hex stuff by the 100's and stick to 1/4 Wide 4-40 TPI assorted lengths. Typically the 4-40 size stuff works good for everything but some of the tube projects, for those a 6-32 works better.

They have allot of the small pan head screws in stock, I had to order in all the standoff's. Fastenal are all over the place in Vanc/PDX, there is probably one not to far off the beaten path wherever your at in SEA I know in the are I work there is 3 loca.

I think the round stock is a minimum order of 1000 piece,

Back