Re: S800 Support Thread
« Reply #760 on: July 10, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Will try what you suggest and follow-up. Thank you!

BTW, was there a chance not too long ago at a 500 series for this EQ? I thought I saw a post in this thread a few pages back, not sure if it made it to the White Market or if it did and I missed it...

Thanks,
Chris
"Kind of like going into Safeway at 4 in the morning and chugging a beer in the produce section; been there, done that." - CJ

"We're not making an atomic bomb, just cooking a few electrons." - PRR

peterc

« Reply #761 on: July 11, 2018, 03:59:44 AM »
Hi Chris

I did make a 500 series prototype which still sits in my rack, but no more that that unfortunately
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

« Reply #762 on: July 13, 2018, 02:29:29 AM »
Update:

I took out the toroidal, flipped it around in various orientations, outside the chassis, etc. Yet I still have the hum.  :(

Seems to me that the hum is in and around the LMF and HMF, in the lower portions of the sweep (i.e., LMF ~100Hz up to about 1/3 rotation in the range, and similarly for HMF ~1k). Anyone else experience this? Is it the pots? BTW, LF and HF are quiet as a church mouse...

What would be my next step?

Chris
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 03:19:40 AM by fazeka »
"Kind of like going into Safeway at 4 in the morning and chugging a beer in the produce section; been there, done that." - CJ

Le Roux

« Reply #763 on: July 15, 2018, 03:42:08 PM »
My build

I had buzz/hum on all channels, which after a few hours of being on, disappeared?

Anyways...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:10:58 PM by Le Roux »

« Reply #764 on: July 17, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »
I had buzz/hum on all channels, which after a few hours of being on, disappeared?
What's the reasoning for this? It doesn't seem possible that it can be attributed to anything with the build if it just sat there turned on and the hum just "disappeared" ?!?...

:o

For mine, I have the Small Bear Electronics (Alpha 16mm, solder terminals) pots wired up to the PCBs. When the LMF and HMF freq. sweep pots are kept away from the others, the hum goes down significantly.  :D However, when these are mounted to the front panel (i.e., within the vicinity of the other pots), the hum returns... I even tried shielded cable for these pots (telescoping the braided shield on the pot side of the cable, connected the shield on the other side of the cable to the star ground point) and no help. :( I'm really scratching my head here, it's quite maddening!  >:(

Does the hum having anything to do with these pots being dual-ganged? Or is it attributable to (that part of) the circuit? Capacitive coupling?

Chris
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:09:35 PM by fazeka »

Le Roux

« Reply #765 on: July 17, 2018, 07:11:18 PM »
Seriously, I had a hum/buzz on all boards outside of the case and when I installed it, was still there.

All of a sudden, it was gone!
No idea why!!! As long as it don’t come back!

I used AML parts kit.
It’s a log pot?? Or rev log?
Is small bear matching what’s required?
Only thing that comes to my mind!
I hear ya on frustration
Had a project or two I gave up on cause I can’t spend all day everyday  figuring out why it doesn’t work!
There’s music to be recorded!!