Need help with SSL 4/6k PSU - any oldschool SSL guys around?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Tibes

Hi erveryone,

my SSL CF661E PSU is giving me trouble. Sometimes the main +/- 18 V rails don't come up when I turn it on and recently it starts to lose them also when it's running (maybe once a day, comes up fine after power cycling). I've swapped the regulator cards, the rectifiers are working, it's not under a terrible load (it is used to power my DDA AMR 24 console), the main capacitors seem fine (though they're old) and it's clean inside (I fixed all bad looking stuff some years ago).

I'm just a little scared to dig around in it because obviously that's not the very best place to make a mistake (unfortunately I don't have load resistors for it), so if it rings a bell somewhere I'd be grateful for tips! My experience with these old workhorses is that it is mostly something unexpected, last time it took me days when I had an intermittend problem with it which turned out to be a corroded screw hidden somewhere...

Michael

Back