TELEFUNKEN V76 removing broadcast filters problematic ??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andre tchmil

I own an original TELEFUNKEN V76 (not the studio" S " version).
Two questions : 1-Can I drastically improve the performance by removing the LO/ HI pass filters ? Internally I mean , not the filters on the front ?

I heard somewhere that they have a gentle slope, so that's why I'm wondering if the result will be that much different.

2- And If I remove them, will It introduce other problems and do I therefore have to change other things also ?

How does it sound stock?
Usually, the Pi filter is the one that gets yanked. But there has been some confusion on this. I asked Ollie for one of the original inductors for the Pi filter and he told me "That's the one you want to rip out! Why do you want to buy one?"
Then I saw a post at another forum where he told someone "Don't rip that out! Thats the whole sound, that HF rolloff. Otherwise you will have a 6 db treble peak"
So the jury is still out on this. If you know what kind of mic(s) you are going to use all the time, plug them in and try an a/b test. Or better yet, just put a bypass switch on the Pi filter so you can switch it in or out. Although I do not know where you would put the switch and I do not know if you want to start carving up the vintage sheet metal. Would mess up the resale value.
The other tone filters are fine.
cj

They do already sound great without the mod. I haven't directly compared them with and without. Killing the locut is very easy, it's just a cap in the middle of the primary windings of the input transformer. Bridging it does disable it. Normally the units are prepared for that by having 2 short wires sticking out near the cap which can be connected.
I have never measured the units without the PI filter, but I think it shouldn't be a problem ot take it out. I did it on several units and nobody complained about having too much treble. I also have a vague memory of having seen a frequency response plot with and without the filters somewhere on the internet which was beautifully flat.

Michael

I know that same graph. Believe it is at Gunter Wagner's site, whose bookmark got nuked when I turned off the power to my computer in disgust over a lockup.
Seems like Netscape/Yahoo will nuke your bookmarks if you do the radical power off-power on reboot.
:twisted:

Thanks all.
the lo cut caps, they are easy to locate I guess?
But what is the Pi filter, how does it look like and what to do with? simply taking it out, Or do I have to bridge these points as well ?

here is a typical v76 tone section. the pi filter is on the right.
i looked at Tommypiper's V76 but could not locate it. it might be burried somewhere on that grommet suspended section.

v76_pi_filter.jpg

just bridge it to start. maybe run some wires out to a switch so you can do some a/b testing. i wouldn't mess with pulling the inductor, they can be pretty fragile after 40 years. it might not even have the same inductance if the pot core glue has failed.
bridging the inductor will still leave the 50 pf puffs to ground, but that should not matter that much.

Back