Connecting mic capsules to mic wire & plug...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

Was thinking of connecting my mic capsules to my DIY mics using little component sockets like transistor sockets that come as gold plated or Dil sockets is it ? like IC sockets can cut them into singles.

Is this a bad idea ?

Would there be issue with having in my case the two connections on say one transistor socket ?...Could chop socket up have one plug one socket per wire

I dont no too much about mics....I take it we need thin short as possible wire from mic circuit to capsule , is that right ?
Some of the lollypop heads have a long way to travel to mic guts tho

I read some stuff about stray capacitance messing up high frequencies.

Thanks for reading

It would be an ok idea if you could do it well.... You need the plug to have a very high insulation resistance, and it should be built reliably obviously; look at other existing designs.

I tried Cinch Jones connectors and they noticeably degraded the sound.  The plastic is black, which means that it is carbon filled and probably acted as a megaohm shunt resistor.  Whatever you try, stay away from any black insulator materials.  But beware, even some non-black plastics can be relatively conductive.  I use DB9 connectors with a blue insulator at work for a test jig on my 4-point ohm meter and the baseline resistance I read is ~20kohms!  Disconnect the DB9, baseline goes to >1gig.

http://www.cinch.com/view_product_line.cinch?id=29

Hi, thanks for your thoughts...Im just batting ideas around in my head for my DIY mics....IM the only one who uses my mics and its just for vocals so Im thinking I dont want to built permernant mics with capsules and electronics built in... say I want to  use my violet capsule with Ela 250 electrics one day, then change to puleuso with ela,or C12 electrics with violet capsule....at the mo the plan is to use those little dil socket things & short lengths of wire one on each capsule wire, the capsule in a seperate cage bit like a lolly really only with wires to connect, the wires are sheilded with 2 inch long springs to sheild and protect the fragile thin capsule wires....bit hard to visualise...experiments going well tho, Id like to learn more about best wire to use for capsule to electrics...how thin ? gold/silver plate ?

If we wanted to use the jones connectors or something like that & it is acting as a shunt resistor....could we change reistor values within the mic electronics to accomodate the shunt resistance ....maybe this depends on the circuit type in question or maybe thats just silly as I dont really understand much about mic circuits, I must read & try & learn tho                       

Latest posts

Back