Get your THAT1512/1646 preamp etching layout in this thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

I wanted to build some cheap preamps based on the THAT 1512 stuff but nobody offers just a cheapo PCB without all of the extraneous stuff so I layed some out.

I haven't built any yet, in fact I haven't even etched one yet so I have no idea how they'll turn out.

I'm not sure that it'll fit on an etchable PCB or not but I did the layout so that you can etch 4 at a time or you can also etch just one as well( or etch 4 and break them into 4 separate preamps).

It's single sided and through-hole.

I estimate that you should be able to stuff a channel for less than 15$ which should get you 4 channels in a recycled case with a simple PSU for less than 100$.

Here are the PDFs:

http://www.theopiumdenproductions.com/1512/THAT1512 schematic.pdf

http://www.theopiumdenproductions.com/1512/1512 preamp w_overlay.pdf

http://www.theopiumdenproductions.com/1512/1512 preamp traces2.pdf

I'm not offering any support on this (unless you find an error, then I'll fix it) because I just don't have the time to answer tons of questions on this.  The design is so simple that you should be able to figure everything out from the datasheets within minutes.  I included the basic THAT1646 driver as well.  If you want to bypass the 1646, just wire from C14 to your output tranny or jack and DNP the 1646 and it's associated parts.

If anyone builds one before I do, let me know how it turns out.

If you want the Circuitmaker/Traxmaker files I can supply those too.

And for the legal stuff:

I submit these documents free for personal DIY use only.  I do not grant usage of these files for any commercial endeavor.

Nice one :)
I've made a couple on Veroboard and used spare SSL9k balanced out boards, they sound
pretty damm good ..... not boxed up yet though !!

MM.

This was meant for home etching.

I support true DIY!

It's super easy, give it a try.  You don't need all of the fancy expensive equipment.  I do the exposure under a UV fishtank bulb or a halogen work light(without the UV blocking glass) and the developing/etching in plastic tubs I bought from the dollar store.

Svart said:
This was meant for home etching.
You might need to include that message into the copper-pattern to make it work, and then some...  :( 8)

But serious, it might be better to include it in your files then as well, not just this thread-text.

Bye,

Peter

Well if someone *really* wanted to have some place make this for them then as long as it's not for commercial use I don't mind, it's their money that they are wasting.  ;D

thanks svart!  i have 2 1510 and 2 1512 looking for a home. may be a year befor i get to this(bigger fish to fry)but i'll definitly use them. :)

I'll test the circuit on breadboard, it's very similar to the layout I've been plugging away at based on the app notes and datasheets. You haven't tried the circuit itself have you Chris?

nope not yet, it's straight from the datasheets though.  I don't have a laser printer so I'm having someone print the transparency for me.  I might have it etched by next week though.

few months ago i did a sinlge layer layout too....just too busy to keep working on it!
but since i have a lot of preamps with transformers i need some with IC's..

that.JPG

I has less parts that Svart style...just found out to work nice on breadboard...
Since Lukas offers cheap service for boards i might order at least 4.

Looks good boys!

yet another bump! anyone get this going? Looks like we all want to but no one is doing it.. I will some day too...
Actually right now I am working on a 312/1646 output board.. your schemo helped me get mine done... thanks!

what about the fixed 4r99 resistor in the gain control? (as per the manufacturers recommendations)

You can also include a -6db function by opening the connection between the RG pins... I'm guessing you knew that, just asking why you chose not to include these details.

This wasn't intended as a perfect design.  People should be able to add/subtract any parts they choose.  Anyway, the 4r99 can be left out or they can add this to the pot/switch for their gain control if they wish, same for adding a switch.  Why have another set of points on the PCB for extra wires when you can just use the switch wired directly to the gain pot and not need all of the added complexity?

was thinking about the pre bit with a motorised pot for a front end to my ada8000 for live use.

got a few of the lines, so might drop wayne a line for the pres and see how this sounds

Svart said:
I wanted to build some cheap preamps based on the THAT 1512 stuff but nobody offers just a cheapo PCB without all of the extraneous stuff so I layed some out.

This one has been available for a while:
http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/Preamps_-_poweramps/11380733512.html

Better use this link and select ThatMic from the list left:
http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/Preamps_-_poweramps/

Doesn't have space for the 1646 though if that's important.

Once you factor the exchange rate and shipping, it's cheaper just to etch it unfortunately.  I also wanted to make it so that you can easily adapt it to any case you want.

I'm sure lots of people on here have built one version or another of this pre. I built one a long time ago, still use it a lot. Nice and clean...no mojo/no dirt...just a preamp.

Latest posts

Back